Friday Night Butt Cook Pics!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kidsmoke said:
Captain, or anyone else. As a newbie to the WSM, I followed the guidelines on the virtual weber site regarding pork butt prep and hacked alot of fat off. Ended up having to tie my butts to hold them together for the cook. I notice in alot of Larry's pics and yours tonight that you don't follow that method? Should I just season and throw em on right out of the package without trimming?

Kid,
Like the others have said it sounds like you got the boneless butts. I've tried them before and personally didn't care for them. Too much work in tying them up and I just don't understand why they remove the bone in the first place. See if you can find the bone in butt or a picnic. If you get a picnic cook it the same as a butt, just get a sharp knife and remove the rind. I'd rather do a picnic over a boneless butt any day. Plus picnic's are usually about .30 cheaper per lb. I do not trim my butts at all, there's enough "meat" area that gets bark once the fat cap is pulled off.

This is going to be one of those long cooks....12 hour mark and I just hit 170. Stirred the coals to get the temp back up to 230...hope the fuel lasts. I'm out!

Captain Morgan said:
This is going to be one of those long cooks....12 hour mark and I just hit 170. Stirred the coals to get the temp back up to 230...hope the fuel lasts. I'm out!

If you run out of fuel throw it in the oven. No more benefit on the cooker now anyways.

That's cheating.

I may go to the store, I wanted to do chicken today, but there's not enough left to do that. And I'm running out of beer.

Jeff E said:
Dang, you guys are making me hungry. Nice pictures Jack. I've never thought to try pickles on a PP sandwich. I did try one with Rev Marvin's sauce last time though & it was really good.

The slaw got scooped to the top of the sammy. I call it "The Carolina Crusher". Just one of many ways to enjoy a quality Q experience.

Good Q!

Jack

never mind Jack, I just got back...more charcoal and beer. Now I can do the chicken as well....butts dropped back to 179, but I'm getting the pit temp back up now.

oh brother...I don't know whether to stand in the kitchen and smell the resting pork, or step outside in the rain and smell the smoking chicken!

Jack W. said:
I got everything finished before the big rain set in.

Here's a look at lunch.

http://ephotohut.com/gallery.php?u=ryzi ... =PPPP-Cook

Good Q!

Jack
Looks dang good Jack. Did you cook the butts using the same "stuff" as you cook whole hog? Giving the judges a little primer so they can remember your "flavor"?
If schedule works out, I'll be there to help you if you still want me.

Finney said:
Jack W. said:
I got everything finished before the big rain set in.

Here's a look at lunch.

http://ephotohut.com/gallery.php?u=ryzi ... =PPPP-Cook

Good Q!

Jack
Looks dang good Jack. Did you cook the butts using the same "stuff" as you cook whole hog? Giving the judges a little primer so they can remember your "flavor"?
If schedule works out, I'll be there to help you if you still want me.

Tennessee Red instead of my comp. mix. The profile is very similar.

You know I'll take what ever opportunity I can to improve my score. They judge on site at the PPPP. I always get a chance to speak and hang around to answer questions. I hope it softens them up a little.

You are always welcome to help out. Bring friends, have a good time.

Good Q!

Jack

Back
Top Bottom