Friday Butts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greg I am using some hickory for smoke.

I was really wanting to try Carolines rub on one of these butts but it takes a while to get down here from Canada so it will have to go on the next round.

I am using Tx bbq rub on three of them and one of them has some rub I found in my cabinet called Finney #1.

Larry, my order is going in today.

looks like a good start cliff...i've got 2 butts and a picnic (maybe 2) to do tonight...gonna use a white oak, maple, apple wood combo....

by the time i get mine on, your's will probably be at stall temperature...

Rob

Larry informed me that there need to be some space between the butts for grease control, bark, air circulation, bark and such. I did remember smashing them together to get them to the center of the grates. The wsm was clicking along at 251 dome temp when I took the lid off for 15 seconds to adjust them.

Now about 15-20 min later the dome temp has just made it back to 240.

I made myself a perminate mental note to never smash them together again. ;)

four hours into the cook I have temps ranging from 132 up to 140. I am glad to see the temps staying at a manageable range from the bottom to the top grate. I am monitoring all four.

Sounds like you're geting the hang of it Cliff and you have everything under control!!

Butts are holding around 175-180. Still have a ways to go. WSM is coasting at 238 in the dome but the vents are all almost wide open. I may be starting to turn down hill.

If the temps start to fall and more fuel is needed, how much fuel should I add this close to the end ?

Lit or unlit ?

ps: I tapped on the legs to shake down some of the ash. There may be more than enough fuel left to do the job. Just curious. ;)

Cliff H. said:
If the temps start to fall and more fuel is needed, how much fuel should I add this close to the end ?

Lit or unlit ?
If the temps are starting to drop off, I'd take a look through the door to see what it looks like in there. If the coals are about spent, I'd make a wild guess at how much it'll take to finish the cook. Half a chimney? More? Then I'd put that much charcoal in the chimney and get it started. Finally, I'd transfer the lit coals gently into the cooker. (When I asked Griff the same question, he said he uses a fireplace shovel, and that's what I do too.) Good luck on the finish!

--John 8)

After a four hour rest I pulled them. The flavor was very good. Four hours may be a little long for a rest. Seems like they were more dry on the outside than say a two hour rest. Maybe not, I have only had four hours of sleep.

Finney,
I thought your rub was very good. I didn't put a real heavy coat on because you had mentioned that it was spicy. It smells good out of the package and taste good, I didn't think it was overly spicy. I think I could have put more on than I did so I will have to have another sample for further testing. :D

Next time I am starting this whole thing at night. The wsm perforned very well.

Cliff that pork looks fantastic! Great job!

How come you only had 4 hrs. of sleep?

Puff said:

Unlike most wsm users, I started the cook at 10:00am instead of 10:00pm, So then I was up till 1:30am the next day cuz I didn't get to 195ish until almost 16 hours later. Slept from 2-6, got up and pulled four butts. Went back to sleep at 7am. Woke up at 9:00am.

OK that adds up to more than 4. :LOL:

Larry Wolfe said:
Very nice job Cliff!!!! Any grease problems? Soot?

I haven't looked in the bottom of the bowl yet but I don't think there were any issues on this cook. No flare ups or stuff running out the vents. 8)

Cliff H. said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":1untib22]Very nice job Cliff!!!! Any grease problems? Soot?

I haven't looked in the bottom of the bowl yet but I don't think there were any issues on this cook. No flare ups or stuff running out the vents. 8)[/quote:1untib22]
Good deal! :D The pork looks great.
eatdrink026.gif

--John 8)

Cliff H. said:
Puff said:

Unlike most wsm users, I started the cook at 10:00am instead of 10:00pm, So then I was up till 1:30am the next day cuz I didn't get to 195ish until almost 16 hours later. Slept from 2-6, got up and pulled four butts. Went back to sleep at 7am. Woke up at 9:00am.

OK that adds up to more than 4. :LOL:
Gotcha' ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom