For the stick burners or others that know

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ive met alot of people that burn the wood to coals then shovel it in the pit, but then I have met a few people like my grand daddy that once he got his coals goin he just through a log in every once in a while. What method do yall use and why?

Depends...................;}-

Like jamesb,I do both. I have a Tejas I start with gas,then it's splits;then there's my NB Red Ruver and the Bullet,I pre-burn in a burn barrel.
I have a UDS in the works that will be wood also...
will post as I go. But,Yes, and pre-heating on the firebox is a good idea also!
Have fun and,
SMOKE HAPPY
Stan aka OldSchool :)-

I have a Klose...I do the same as James. I will start a nice bed of charcoal and smaller splits...then put a couple stick on the firebox to pre-heat and ass them as necessary.

Greg Rempe said:
I have a Klose...I do the same as James. I will start a nice bed of charcoal and smaller splits...then put a couple stick on the firebox to pre-heat and ass them as necessary.

I'm not a stick burner but I think Greg just gave new meaning to "Stick Burner"!

I've preburned on some occasions and dont see much point in it with an offset. Now if your going direct and have plenty of wood I think its a great plan. Old chum we used to cook with had a large custom built and waterized offset. He burned to coals and shoveled to the firebox religously with a combo of hickory and mesquite. He burnd in an outdoor fireplace type contraption and moved the coals over with a little shovel. On one occasion at an IBCA cookoff at Terrell...the boy got lazy and/or most likely drunk and decided to knock off the burning and shoveling bizness. His laziness was rewarded with a nice fat check for 1st place brisket...whereas he normally lagged behind at awards time. That was the end of his coals slinging strategy and was enough to convince me to skip the step also.

bigwheel

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="Greg Rempe":1np2gz8c]I have a Klose...I do the same as James. I will start a nice bed of charcoal and smaller splits...then put a couple stick on the firebox to pre-heat and [color=darkred[size=18]]ass them [/color][/size]as necessary.

:shock: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
8)

I'm not a stick burner but I think Greg just gave new meaning to "Stick Burner"![/quote:1np2gz8c]

Back
Top Bottom