FoodSaver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allisonandrews

Senior Cook
I keep seeing FoodSaver in posts and am interested in it. I've determined that is is a vacuum packing device for food. I think it may be something that I need to get and am looking for some recommendations as to brand/model/price to pay.

My husband is about to change shifts and we will not see each other for 4 days at a time. (Just overlapping shift times. I'll be at work when he is awake before work. I'll be asleep when he gets home from work.)

One positive is that I will be cooking for 1 for dinner! My husband is one of those guys that thinks when I cook that we need about 4 sides. There are only 2 of us. He eats one bite of each veggie and then the rest gets thrown away - either right then or after he refuses to eat it as a leftover.
I'm thinking about plugging my deep freeze back in and starting to do a lot of frozen dinners (both store bought and my own creations).

It seems like it would be great to be able to bbq on the weekends and then freeze the leftovers in @ 1 lb bags. (Good thing about this new shift is that it gives him 3 day weekends so plenty of time to bbq - if I can get him off the boat.) I also saw a mention of putting them in boiling water to reheat. We make ziplock omlets that way, so my husband is familiar with that method.

So, does something like the foodsaver sound like a good fit? What kind should I get? Does it really work that much better than just putting the food into freezer bags?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Foodsaver brand seems to the weapon of choice with most of the folks on the board. I went with the cheapest one I could find at the time which is a Rival brand from Target. It works right now but it is not very old. I think time will prove that the Foodsaver brand is a better choice. Check Khol's if you have one in your area. You will wonder how you ever got along without one once you start packing leftovers.

allisonandrews said:
I keep seeing FoodSaver in posts and am interested in it. I've determined that is is a vacuum packing device for food. I think it may be something that I need to get and am looking for some recommendations as to brand/model/price to pay.

My husband is about to change shifts and we will not see each other for 4 days at a time. (Just overlapping shift times. I'll be at work when he is awake before work. I'll be asleep when he gets home from work.)

One positive is that I will be cooking for 1 for dinner! My husband is one of those guys that thinks when I cook that we need about 4 sides. There are only 2 of us. He eats one bite of each veggie and then the rest gets thrown away - either right then or after he refuses to eat it as a leftover.
I'm thinking about plugging my deep freeze back in and starting to do a lot of frozen dinners (both store bought and my own creations).

It seems like it would be great to be able to bbq on the weekends and then freeze the leftovers in @ 1 lb bags. (Good thing about this new shift is that it gives him 3 day weekends so plenty of time to bbq - if I can get him off the boat.) I also saw a mention of putting them in boiling water to reheat. We make ziplock omlets that way, so my husband is familiar with that method.

So, does something like the foodsaver sound like a good fit? What kind should I get? Does it really work that much better than just putting the food into freezer bags?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
You need a food saver, they work real well. We got our from Kohl's when they were on sale. Everyone I know that has one loves theirs.

No Kohls. :-( It will either have to be from Wal-Mart or from online. I looked at Amazon and it seemed like there were quite a few different models on there going from about 50 - 150 dollars.

Here is the one that I am ordering. Foodsaver 840 I called the company up and explained what I would be using it for and they recomended this unit. I was leary about getting a "One Touch" kind. I like the 2440 which has a locking device on the side but after talking to Foodsaver, I am getting the V840.

I wonder what the difference is between it and the V845. The 845 is on sale for $99.

Here are the 'product features' I could find on it.
Measures 14-3/4 by 9 by 3-1/2 inches; 1-year limited warranty
Durable home-vacuum packaging system vacuums and seals automatically
2-level seal control; instant seal to stop process; built-in roll storage and cutter
Accessory port for vacuum-sealing cans, jars, bottles, and canisters
Accessories include FoodSaver bags, 3/4-quart canister, drip tray, instructions, and more
Amazon.com Product Description
Combining a wide range of features and a heavy-duty design, this home-vacuum packaging system vacuums, seals, and shifts off automatically--simply press and release the lid. The unit provides a built-in roll holder and cutter, as well as a two-level seal control to choose from for setting the desired sealing time. For vacuum packaging delicate foods, the vacuum process can be stopped at any time to control the amount of air being removed. Attaching the included accessory hose to the unit’s accessory port allows for vacuum packaging with canisters, bottle stoppers, and universal lids.
Other useful features include a cancel button, an indicator light, a sealing strip with Teflon coating, and a full-sized vacuum channel to catch overflow liquids. The unit works with all FoodSaver accessories and FoodSaver Bags, which are safe to freeze, boil, or microwave, and are proven to prevent freezer burn. Accessories include two 1-gallon bags, three 1-quart bags, a 10-foot roll of 11-inch-wide bag material, and a 3/4-quart canister, as well as a dishwasher-safe antibacterial drip tray for easy cleanup and an instructional video for getting started. The vacuum sealing kit measures 14-3/4 by 9 by 3-1/2 inches and carries a one-year limited warranty.

Product Description
* Hands free operation * Built in roll cutter and storage * 2 level seal control * Works with all FoodSaver bag material and canister * 1 year limited warranty

Well, now I keep getting more confused. I found the V800 with your like was around 80. Now I find this one on Amazon for $99 or on FoodSaver for $130. Does this mean it is better? It has 3 settings.

It's the V1205.

Appliance measures 17-1/4 by 6 by 4-1/4 inches
Easy to use home-vacuum packaging system; keeps food fresh longer
3-level seal control; hands-free operation; instant seal to stop process
Accessory port for vacuum-sealing cans, jars, bottles, and canisters
Includes 1-1/2-quart canister, bottle stopper, 3 1-quart bags, and 2 1-gallon bags

Amazon.com Review
The FoodSaver Premier Series V1205 Vacuum Sealing Kit from Tilia keeps food fresh up to five times longer, prevents freezer burn, and locks out air and moisture. Easy to use, the home-vacuum system removes the oxygen from food items and seals bags and canisters with a one-touch system. A three-level seal control allows for varying seal times--shorter for dry foods and longer for moist foods. Hands-free operation ensures that the machine shuts off automatically, while the instant seal button stops the vacuum process to prevent delicate items from being crushed. An accessory port enables vacuum-sealing canisters, bottle stoppers, and universal lids to be attached. The handy antibacterial drip tray can be washed in the dishwasher for easier cleanup.
Included with this sleek black and brushed chrome vacuum sealer are two 1-gallon bags, three 1-quart bags, a 10-foot roll of 11-inch-wide bag material, 1-1/2-quart canister, 4-inch universal lid, bottle stopper, accessory hose, and accessory hose storage. A quick start manual, reference guide, and instructional video are also provided, and a one-year warranty is guaranteed. The vacuum sealer measures 17-1/4 by 6 by 4-1/4 inches. --Lea Werbel

Product Description
Multi-functional vacuum sealing controls and convenient Â?Hands FreeÂ? operation combine in a Euro design styled for the upscale modern kitchen. The Vac 1205 offers easy vacuum packaging using all sizes of bags and rolls as well as all FoodSaver accessories, including FoodSaver Canisters, FoodSaver Universal Lids and FoodSaver Jar Sealers. 3-Level Seal Control Switch - Allows adjustments to bag sealing time for the perfect seal - shorter for dry foods, longer for moist foods. Cancel Button - To stop pump and open lid during vacuum process. Extended Vacuum lengthens the vacuum time for maximum air removal. Full-sized Vacuum Channel catches overflow liquids and fits any size FoodSaver Bag for maximum versatility. Powerful Piston Pump removes air quickly and creates a commercial-quality vacuum. Sealing Strip with Teflon Coating seals bags airtight with a durable, even seal. FoodSaver Bags have a design so unique it's been patented. Special channels enable the efficient and complete removal of air so none is left trapped in Â?pocketsÂ? around the food. 5-ply plastic for strength

It got better reviews than the V845 on Amazon.

Okay, I put on my big girl panties and made a decision. I am going with the FoodSaver® Premier Series V1205. It's the prettiest with its brushed chrome finish. I've got free shipping, so I think $99 is a pretty good deal compared to some of the other prices I found. FoodSaver says regular price is $179.99, but even they sale it for $129.99 plus shipping.

Now, question number two. Premade bags or the roll?

(Thank you for letting me talk my decision out.)

allisonandrews said:
Okay, I put on my big girl panties and made a decision. I am going with the FoodSaver® Premier Series V1205. It's the prettiest with its brushed chrome finish. I've got free shipping, so I think $99 is a pretty good deal compared to some of the other prices I found. FoodSaver says regular price is $179.99, but even they sale it for $129.99 plus shipping.

It depends on what your packing. The rolls are nice because you can cut and seal them to length. We use the rolls for packing our sausage they work well for the long links. The premade bags are nice for storing dinners and such....

allisonandrews said:

I like both premade and rolls. Gives you a choice in size and shape.

If you were trying to seal the meat into one or two serving portions, the bags would probably be too much. (Although, I do plan to wash and reuse, so this might not be an issue.)

it depends on what I am saving. I seem to go through more of the 8" size though. If theres a costco or sams around you can get a multi pack. I would highly recomend a few of the canisters, esp in a place with high humidity. You can put your veggies, bread, chips, whatever in there. We have more foodsaver canisters than tupperware. Just be careful if you put them in the dishwasher, the dry cycle tends to crack them over time

Okay, breathe a sigh of relieft. I have pressed buy, so no more questions.

Here is what I ended up going with:

FoodSaver Premier Series V1205 Vacuum Sealing Kit, Black with Brushed Chrome - $99.26
FoodSaver Pint-Size Bags, Package of 32 - $9.95
FoodSaver 1 Quart Size Bag, Package of 48 - $18.95

Original total was $128.16. I got 2-day shipping for free, so they should be here on Friday. I had a promotional code worth $25, so my final cost was $103.16.

I am pleased.

Thanks for the recommendations. We don't have a SAMS store nearby, but with hubby's new job, he gets a free membership. The next time we are in Ft. Worth, maybe we will stop by there and see what is available. By that time, I should have an idea of what I am doing with the food saver also.

I don't know about canisters. All of my 'plastic' ware disappears. My husband is notorious for leaving it out after he has taken it with him to lunch. Instead of washing it out, he chunks the entire container.

We'll just have to see. This has gotten me all excited. I'm thinking a Father's Day bbq might be in order. I know my husband will want to go to the lake, but I want to cook!

Nothing is better than cooking a lot of BBQ knowing it will all be safe in the Foodsaver for later eats! You will be able to cook what you have instead of what you can...if ya get my drift! :!:

This may give me the encouragement to finally cook a butt. My husband loves brisket, so we always do at least one of them. We've never had pulled pork, so it would be too risky to only do it. We didn't know how we were going to eat up a brisket and a butt, but I think this may be the solution.

Now, I've got to go back and start reading about pork!

For sure...since I got my FoodSaver I always cook 2 butts (usually 6-8 lbs each) and eat what we want then save the rest. It's nice to have some bags of PP or brisket in the freezer. When the Q fix strikes, boil some water, throw in the bag and wait 30 minutes...fresh BBQ that tastes oh sooooo goooood!

It is so worth the investment!!! SO WORTH IT!!

The more you cook at one time, the cheaper it is. If you are having to pay for fuel it is anyway. Plus, your time is valuable. However, I do think cooking on the smoker is more of a treat than a 'job'. (The adult beverages help.) Occasionally it gets to be a pain to keep checking on it when we have oher stuff going, but for the most part it's enjoyable.

I think our smoker will be able to handle a couple of briskets and a couple of butts pretty easily. Sometimes the aluminum pans begin to take up space, but I don't think I will need as large of one for the butts as for the brisket. That should leave room for some country style pork ribs in the chamber. They will be done and removed and that will leave space for me to let my beans get some smoke flavor as well.

Yep, we're going to have to fire up the smoker soon. We haven't touched it since I hauled her home from my in-laws on Memorial Day. (My first trip towing something. My husband pulled the camper and I pulled the smoker. We used two-way radios on the way home - they were so nice to have, to be able to be in constant communication without messing with dialing on a cell phone or holding it to your ear.)

Burn ban is back in effect this week, so we will have to be extra careful. (You can still use a smoker, we'll just be a bit more diligent. We might be able to take it to my parents house and use it on the gravel or on the concrete - that would be safer.)

Back
Top Bottom