FoodSaver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just picked up a twin pack of the Walmart ones last night, before I saw this. I will report back too. I saw the B&D ones were a bit cheaper. It did not say if they were compatible with any other machines so I did not bite on that deal.

Got the food saver in on Friday. It can be a bit picky at times about you having the bag in the right spot, but I think it will become more of a habit as I do more. I used it on the bbq from this weekend. We have already boiled some of the brisket in the bags. I got some pint sized that seem to be good. Hubby thought this was great, even though it did take longer than the microwave. He hates meat that has been nuked.

One downside - cleaned out deep freeze, plugged it in, and nothing. So, we had to do a quick cleaning out of our normal freezer, and put the stuff in there. I don't know if we will look at fixing/replacing the deep freeze or not.

Allison: Turn the cold control all the way right and then all the way left, Then set it where you had it for normal operation. If it doesn't take off after that, Try tapping the knob with a screw driver handle. Sometimes after a defrost they can get stuck.

Here is what I ordered from Amazon. I have Amazon Prime right now (they offered me 3 months free and I am taking advantage of it as much as possible - it gives you free 2 day shipping on some items. The "some" items is why I won't be renewing - most of the stuff I want does not qualify, but the FS stuff does.) If you are not in a hurry, I think these all qualify for free shipping using Super Saver.

The code is SUNSAVER - you have to spend $125 in Kitchen & Housewares or Bed & Bath products by Amazon to qualify.

1- FoodSaver Premier Series V1205 Vacuum Sealing Kit, Black with Brushed Chrome $99.26

Then I bought bags for another $26 or so, because they were esentially free with the code.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

Actually, the foodsaver group on yahoo is somewhat of a mess. Way too much drama for me. It's just not the nicest place in the world, which kind of surprised me. There seem to be one or two people that don't know how to disagree nicely, and then you've got the bunch that tells them how mean and rude they are and it starts all sorts of stuff.

I'm pleased with mine so far - it's taking a bit of getting used to as far as bag placement, etc. Sometimes I can't get it to vacuum enough, but I think that is due to my bag placement. I need to find a larger spot in the kitchen to work on it. So far, I am finding that I use the pint sized bags the most.

I've had a Foodsaver Ultra for over 8 years and it still works great. But while I was in Sam's they have a top model with lots of bells and whistles for $118.87 so bought a new one. Gonna give the old one to a newbie.

craig castille said:
Allison,

I bought a foodsaver at sam's for around a $120.

The foodsaver has cost me $400 since. First, I had to buy a freezer, then a meat grinder (for making sausage). Who knows what else lies in the future?

It is a worthy fixture....but it can lead you down a $$$$ path.

For us it was the other way--had the sausage maker, bought the foodsaver, bought a second fridge/freezer (next freezer sometime down the line). What has really cost us is this forum.... "so, I was online yesterday and...... $$$$

:D

Wittdogs B said:
[quote="craig castille":28efkw0a]Allison,

I bought a foodsaver at sam's for around a $120.

The foodsaver has cost me $400 since. First, I had to buy a freezer, then a meat grinder (for making sausage). Who knows what else lies in the future?

It is a worthy fixture....but it can lead you down a $$$$ path.

For us it was the other way--had the sausage maker, bought the foodsaver, bought a second fridge/freezer (next freezer sometime down the line). What has really cost us is this forum.... "so, I was online yesterday and...... $$$$

:D[/quote:28efkw0a]
8-[ :(

Heres a Food Saver ?,,, How do you all keep the macine from sucking the liquid out of the meat and up into the machine,,, The only way i have come close to stopping this is by using a bigger bag,,, any hints would be greatly appreciated. would pre freezing before sealing help at all?

Thanks All

Jon

JonM said:
Heres a Food Saver ?,,, How do you all keep the macine from sucking the liquid out of the meat and up into the machine,,, The only way i have come close to stopping this is by using a bigger bag,,, any hints would be greatly appreciated. would pre freezing before sealing help at all?

Thanks All

Jon

Put the meat in the freezer for an hour or so before freezing. I've also heard of people putting a folded up paper towel between the meat and the seal.

In the frige couple hours before sealing works Do you ever get the bad seal deal where a week later the frozen bag has air in it? Mine quit doing it but I wasnt sure what I did different

Does "Pre_Freezing" work well with Raw meats? When things like Chicken parts or Ground beef is on sale we like to take advantage of those sales, then we get home and split everything up into "one Dinner" size portions.

Will cold food saver bags seal well?

As Always thanks for the advise

Speaking of leftovers down the road, What has been the longest amount of time that the food saver has kept any leftovers.

Mine so far has been 15 months, it was leftover spagetti. it was very good

Jon

Back
Top Bottom