FoodSaver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
allisonandrews said:
Occasionally it gets to be a pain to keep checking on it when we have oher stuff going, but for the most part it's enjoyable.

You might want to check into remote thermometers, if you haven't already. We usually have a couple going to monitor the meat(s) and the pit temps. Redicheck from Maverick.

Wittdogs B said:
allisonandrews said:
Occasionally it gets to be a pain to keep checking on it when we have oher stuff going, but for the most part it's enjoyable.

You might want to check into remote thermometers, if you haven't already. We usually have a couple going to monitor the meat(s) and the pit temps. Redicheck from Maverick.

I had one of those - I can't remember the brand, but it had two different probes. They would read 100 degrees different, so something was messed up. I just kind of gave up on them after that. I might look into the Maverick.

Oops. I just looked mine up and I did have the Maverick. I wasn't pleased. Perhaps it is bad probes. Any suggestions on where to buy new ones or is it even worth it. I think the total was around $40 for the unit. I have been doing better with an instant read one - I just take the temp each time before we baste them - we baste frequently at the end.

I emailed maverick to see if they think the unit is defective or just a probe is defective.

The probes would initially read the same, then differ by a few degrees. Then one would begin to skyrocket and read 100 degrees higher than the other.

have you done a test boil on the probes just to check ? you can get replacements from maverick, about 12 bucks each plus shipping

I haven't done a test boil yet... One was reading the same temp (differered by a degree or two) as our instant read thermomether. The other was way off. The other one would read over 300 when the pit never even got above 250 degrees. This was on its first use.

an even cut is important to me...so it's worth it. Scissors come close but
its too much work with the plastic slipping and sliding away.....slip sliding awaaaayyy...(Cappie breaks into song)

We bought a Food Savor a couple of years ago off an internet site (don't remember which one now) and both my wife and I love it!

If anyone's close to a BJ's they have replacement bags a lot cheaper than the Food Savor brand.

What Cappy said, We would use a metal edge ruler with a razor blade to cut bags, NO MORE, We did a bunch of ribs last night and the built in bag cutter worked great, It has a blade so you can cut right to left and left to right, A great time saver.

Okay, another question. This idea hit me while I was sleeping last night. (I get some of my best and worst ideas at night.)

I've seen mention of it being better to freeze liquids before vacuum packing. Has anyone tried putting the liquid into the hamburger patty freezer keepers. (You press and form your patties in them, then stack the keepers, then freeze.) I was thinking that this would freeze the liquid into a nice uniform chunk. Then I could pop them out of the keepers and into a bag and vacuum.

Anyone see any problem with this?

I can't find the exact patty maker I have, but here is one on Ebay that is similar.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... BIX_Stores

allisonandrews said:
Okay, another question. This idea hit me while I was sleeping last night. (I get some of my best and worst ideas at night.)

I've seen mention of it being better to freeze liquids before vacuum packing. Has anyone tried putting the liquid into the hamburger patty freezer keepers. (You press and form your patties in them, then stack the keepers, then freeze.) I was thinking that this would freeze the liquid into a nice uniform chunk. Then I could pop them out of the keepers and into a bag and vacuum.

I can't find the exact patty maker I have, but here is one on Ebay that is similar.
Allison, lots of people use use trays for that. What you are suggesting would also work well.

allisonandrews said:

Allison, freeze your liquids in ice cube trays, then foodsaver the ice cubes.

I'm thinking the vac sealer will work great for you, you can pre-make some frozen dinners with 1 baby carrot, a spoonfull of corn, 1 spoonfull of green beans and half a baked potatoe. (a bite or two of 4 sides :D) Throw in your meat, seal it up then he can reheat his dinner.

Foodsaver suggest prefreezing for best results. It's not required unless what your sealing up has a lot of liquid in it but it is sometimes desireable (I like to pre-freeze salmon or chicken breast on trays first).

You can even do liquids this way. I made a large batch of enchilada sauce a while back, portioned it up into containers, froze it then did up the frozen sauce blocks in foodsaver bags. I went to all the effort because it will likely take me a year or two to use up all the sauce.

As to which one to buy all I can say is I've been quite happy with my Foodsaver 1060 from Costco. I've had one minor problem with it (heat strip was getting too hot and melting small holes in the seal) but I called them and they fixed up my problem even though the unit was no longer under warranty.

Captain Morgan said:
an even cut is important to me...so it's worth it. Scissors come close but
its too much work with the plastic slipping and sliding away.....slip sliding awaaaayyy...(Cappie breaks into song)
Sooooooooooo....that is why you invented that cutter thingy?
;.

Great buy Ally! Do yourself a favor and NEVER buy bags other than FoodSaver brand. The Black & Deckers are terrible and do not completely seal most of the time. I've had my FoodSaver Ultra for over 8 years and it is still sealing fine. It has two buttons, with latches on both sides, and a port for the vacuum hose to seal mason jars and resealable containers that FoodSaver makes.

I recently tried an off-brand of rolls from Wal-mart which seemed to be working fine (will let you know in a month if they unseal in the freezer #-o )

I tend to use the rolls b/c it seemed like we were wasting alot with the bags-- used it mostly for the cured meats (sausage, bacon, canadian bacon) but have started putting the pulled pork in them. The pulled pork reheats great in the boiling water.

Back
Top Bottom