Flanken ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
So I was at the store today and picked up something they labeled flank ribs....I take it these are short ribs....they are beef. Haven't seen em before, and thought I'd play with em....

so for short ribs, should I do em on the WSM? Maybe a shorter version of 3-2-1?

Looks like a lot of far marbled in there...suggestions?

Good price on em though![/img]

Short ribs are pretty thick, no? Maybe you can butterfly them (see Raichlen's BBQ Bible), grill 'em with an oriental type of sauce?

Just some thoughts....

Danish ribs, I tried some last year, they had no meat on them at all! Very lame. Did they come in a strange looking foreign box? I figure that I'm not gonna eat meat that comes from Europe, unless it's sausage or something else that's cured....

Rob

no expert here, but I bought them just once....there is no meat on those things...no flavor either....

A little research told me that restaurants used to put them on the menu because they sounded exotic or something....better than just "ribs"

Well the Danes were unable to import them for a while because of some health scare, and by the time they were approved for sale in America, the market demand had decreased. Now they are found fairly cheap in supermarkets, but my experiment a couple of years ago led me to not
purchase them again!

They're not horrible, it's just not as good as bb's or spares.

Rob, these appear to be sliced about 1/2 to 3/4 inches thick. Bone runs completely down one side, with a little over an inch of meat on the other....they look good...kind of like steak on a stick! (bone)

They are labeled "Steaks for Grilling/Broiling: Beef Flanken Short Ribs"

Probably not thick enough to open up. I seem to remember (for some odd reason - I never made them) in that BBQ bible that raichlen opened them up like a book and then grilled, but they would need to be thicker than an inch, IMO.....oh well Somebody may be able to elaborate on that...

Might be tasty with a hoisin sauce or something like that, though....

Rob

well I'm stubborn when it comes to recipes anyway...might as well start from scratch...however, it does look like it could be some good eatin!

They're on sale at Bi Lo, if the grilling doesn't work well, I'll buy a bigger pack and smoke em this weekend.

In the links section, there's a post for the beef cuts web site, there's some ideas in there about cooking them, look under short ribs...

Rob

yeppp..just what I thought....that ain't what I got, not by a long shot.

I needs to get a digital camera. Methinks I got another grocery store butcher who does the same thing with country style ribs.....

now these dat I got look a lot like a beef version of the country style ribs I see you guys eatin....not the thick slices of butts like they sell us here.

Regardless, these things look good....I'll borrow a camera.

well I bought a small pack of 3 and I'm gonna throw em on the grill tonight with a ribeye....if I see hope, I'll buy a bigger pack this week.
Details coming.

interesting. Good, but they were more like ribeyes pieces.

The bone was not running down one side as it appeared, instead it was a 3 piece section of ribs that had been sliced into about three quarter inch thick slabs. I grilled em indirect, and they came out pretty good, but it wasn't exactly the rib flavor I was looking for. Of course, I didn't mind that they taste like steak! Lots of fat, lots of flavor, and my dog was very happy for the rib bones.

Yeah if I'd opened them first I would have see that. Just a little woos and steak rub, then 2 cut bbq sauce at the end, and one I left plain.

I think oriental would be good with these things (didn't have any) but I believe they're cut too thin for a smoker. The kettle did fine, and it didn't take long.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom