Five-O bbq

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unity

Executive Chef
Been out of touch for a while because of a visit to my ailing brother on the Kona side of Hawai'i. Actually, I should say recuperating instead of ailing, but in the 3 months since he collapsed, he hasn't gotten back more than a smidgen of control of his right side and his speech (word retrieval) is slow in returning. Recovery from a massive stroke takes a lot of time. He's getting therapy 3 times a week, 3 hours a session, and it's definitely helping. Plus he's a stubborn cuss, a lot like his little brother.

One evening our sister-in-law brought home some surprisingly good sandwiches from Big Jake's Island B-B-Q. The pulled pork, slaw, and beans were quite worthy. Sandwiches held a generous portion of pork on bread similar to a sub roll. I wasn't thinking and didn't photograph the plates. But a couple days later Jody and I stopped for lunch so I could get some pics.

581300667_LEssJ-L.jpg

581819804_ipjwc-L-1.jpg

Big Jake's menu back and front. Contrary to the "7 days a week" claim, they were closed on Monday, the day we were there. :( (So still no food pics.)

581819488_7q2QR-L-1.jpg

Big Jake's menu inside. You might suspect you're in Hawai'i when the barbecue menu includes rice.

581300197_5ku6Q-L.jpg

The big pit.

581299664_SFVVH-L.jpg

The little pit.

Next time I go back I'll do a full review. :D

581232900_3vRi7-L.jpg

Jody and me on the left, Chuck and Karen (and Spike) on the right. Chuck, my only sibling, is 9 years my senior.

--John
(I've taken off 18 lbs since the first of June. Considering my doctor's orders and my brother's situation, I'm determined to be good.)

Great pics, John!! Glad your brother is recovering...Kona is a nice spot to convalesce. :D

By the way...you could quickly lose another 5 lbs if you'd cut all the hair off your face! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Glad you are back posting...! ;)

My thoughts and prayers for your brother....and at $14.95/lb that better be some GREAT brisket.

Great pics John. Glad your brother is doing well.
John......congrats on the weightloss! But..........BBQ and weightloss? That's gotta' be a bitch. ;)

Puff said:
Great pics John. Glad your brother is doing well.
John......congrats on the weightloss! But..........BBQ and weightloss? That's gotta' be a bitch. ;)

Not at those prices.

Glad to hear everything is working out John. Family is very special.

Thanks for your kind wishes, guys. Cliff, you're right, family is very special. We were talking one evening when sister-in-law Karen said something about Chuck probably tolerating his little brother, and I replied, "Not tolerate, he tormented me -- until I got to be bigger than he was." I should have added, "that's about the time he got seriously into martial arts." :D

--John

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your brother. :D

I noticed on that menu they had smoked chili. Have you tried it and if so what did you think. I have to admit I have never had any chili over rice but i think I should try it. Sounds good.

Back
Top Bottom