FIRST WSM COOK COMPLETED !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

friesian_rain

Senior Cook
Well, I did it ! wooohooo My first ever WSM cook on my brand new WSM :D

I chose to do some pork butt, thank you everybody for telling me that would be the way to go. Did an overnight cook. Started with over 16 lbs of butt, trimmed up the 2 butts were 8 and 7 lbs. I dry rubbed and put in fridge early morning. Used K briquettes with Guava wood chunks. Ran into some problems with my brand new dual probe Maverick, cost me some sleep, (it doesn't transmit 100' !). Temps in WSM stayed generally around the 250 temp. Coals lasted all night, right to the end! Butts put in at 9 pm and taken out at 8:30 and 10:30 a.m when they reached 190 degrees. Foiled and let sit for a bit before shredding.

We had a bit of wind come up so I "housed' the wsm in my dog kennel/outdoor cooking area; a chain link kennel with a cover and thick rubber matted floor that I never put the dogs in. I use that area for deep frying the turkeys or long grilling times..... I can put a wind block around the sides of the kennel and the cover keeps out the rain and I can close up the door to keep the dogs away and tease the bears !

I'm very happy ! I love it love it ..... Pork came out very tasty. Thanks again everybody for the hints/tips, can't wait until I'm ready to do brisket !

Groovy! You done fine. Took a 22.5 WSM for a test drive, what a charcoal eater. I'll stick with the 18.5 Hay, is that a out door fire place I see in the background in the first pic? Thinking of building one by the camper. It will have a pizza oven off to the side. Got some pals that are masons. Will work for Q and beer. :LOL:

Pigs

bbquzz said:
Wow a great start FR, I just finished lunch and now I'm ready for some of your PP. That is a super looking "cooking patio" add a sink, bar stools and a fridge and you will have the Alaskan version of Vermin's Outdoor Kitchen. :D

Thank you .
I wish I lived in a place where I could have a real outdoor kitchen like Vermin's !
I'm thinking of putting an addition onto my Alaskan outdoor kitchen..... hmmmm what would look better, blue or brown ? ....tarps that is ! :D :D :D

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Groovy! You done fine. Took a 22.5 WSM for a test drive, what a charcoal eater. I'll stick with the 18.5 Hay, is that a out door fire place I see in the background in the first pic? Thinking of building one by the camper. It will have a pizza oven off to the side. Got some pals that are masons. Will work for Q and beer. :LOL:

Pigs

Thank you, Pigs. I did use almost the whole bag of charcoal for this smoke, I completely filled the ring up. Still had a bit of coals left after butts were done.
No outdoor fireplace, I think you're looking at a tree :) I could set it on fire and we could sit around it ;)
Well, when your pals are done with your outdoor fireplace/pizza oven send them this way..... I would love a real outdoor fireplace! I usually just make a ring of rocks and toss some wood in and light it on fire out in the back driveway. Hmmmmm my outdoor kitchen is a dog kennel and I make fires out in my driveway.... hahahaha

Awesome job Friesian. Gotta love the first getto know you cook. You will have many sucessful cooks ahead also. Congratulations on your new addition.

Astounding nice looking butt. Food looks good too:) Your little cooking area is super kewlish. Looks like it would keep the cook and cooker high dry and outta the wind. Fine job.

bigwheel said:
Astounding nice looking butt. Food looks good too:) Your little cooking area is super kewlish. Looks like it would keep the cook and cooker high dry and outta the wind. Fine job.

Thanks Bigwheel !

[ oh wait, I just re-read your post.... Very funny..... glad you like my "butts".... all of them ] :D :D

I really think you need to pack your bags and I will pack my bags and we can meet somewhere around Oregon or somewhere...lol. I would love to have a woman that enjoys bbq like you do, my wife does not even cook let alone attempt to run a smoker.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom