First time cook on the Old Hickory Pit (and more practice)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chiles

Senior Cook
This weekend I hosted a picnic for my College Fraternity Alumni get together. Every cook I do is going to focus on what I need to do for KCBS. This cook was "gas assisted" from the standpoint that I did have it hooked up, but kept wood in the basket the whole time.

First, the Old Hickory nevery seemed to vary more then 3 degrees except when I had the lid opened. It was super easy to clean and the slide out racks were nice compared to reaching inside my Lang.
the next cooking I do will be with the gas disconnected. I have been told that it will take two 20lb bags of lump to keep it in smoking temp ranges for the period I will need, plus a few handfulls of flavor wood. This is very different then my Lang. All I can say is that I will need a lot more practice before I take this thing to a comp. Everhthing turned out moist and good. The chicken was my best ever. This is the first time I did NOT foil the butts and they turned out extra dark. They tasted fine and were not bitter. I think I got lucky with them.

I managed to cook 4 butts, 9 racks of ribs, one briskett and three small packs of theighs.

Here is a slide show of what I did....

Thanks,
The chicken is what I am most proud of from that round. The briskett was fantastic as well. I should have used more rub on the ribs and not sure about how they looked for presentation.

What do you guys think about the color of the ribs? Are these too dark?

img_156603_0_a12bcd0d943d599ef8c0fa801beb71a0.jpg

-Chiles

Back
Top Bottom