First smoke on UDS.... some questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
92hatchattack - It's possible your exhaust is too restrictive, but give it a couple more burns to determine. Keep leaving it fully open and adjust your bottom vents for temp control. Each cook will be slightly different based on weather conditions, but a good cook can make adjustments based on conditions. :) I'm pretty sure you'll figure it out. I think putting less wood chunks would be a good start if you thought it was too much smoke this last time. A clear blue smoke is what you want see out of the exhaust. I really like oak or hickory mixed with apple or cherry for my smokin woods. And chunks vs. chips to give me that longer cook time in the smoke. :D

Ah I don't mind the 3 additions of soaked chips. I have to watch for proper settling temperature anyway. Usually minimal room at the beginning anyway, as it's packed with lump. Around here chips are available everywhere in bags in hardware stores, etc.

The UDS lets the grease from the food drip on the fire and I'd bet thats giving you more smokie flavor than your used to. Try a cook with no wood, only briquets and let us know how that works out. You may also want to try and make a drip pan to catch the grease and try a cook like that.

Back
Top Bottom