First cook since BBQ_Central get-together

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chiles

Senior Cook
All,
I can't tell you how much my confidence and BBQ'ing abilities have improved since the get together that Bill had. I had to call Jeff several times to get some additional help in regards to my timing (this was a faster cook at higher temps). Here are the results

I started the fire at 5:00 and had it up to temp by 6:00am. The butts were rubbed the night before using Larry's Wolf Original (Thanks Bill!!)
These were cooking at 350 and the plan was to have them ready by noon.

After about 3 hours, the butts were up to 160 and I added the ribs. I wrapped the butts in foil with a little applejuice once they hit 170.

Once the butts hit 205, I pulled them to let them rest before sending them to the chopping table. It was High noon at this point and I had hoped to be completely done by then.

The ribs got their sauce prior to going into the warming cabinet.

Pork getting pulled

Ribs and Chicken getting close. I had one butt that was really slow in coming up to temp. I moved it closer to the front to push it up to temp. The hot dogs were put on for the younger kids.

Ribs chopped and delivered. Nothing but compliments!!

Lessons learned. Cooking at higher temps produced good results in less time, but time management is much more critical. The pulled pork was ready on time, but my ribs and chx were almost an hour late. Not a big deal for a group of friends, but that would never pass in a comp.

One of the attendees that was in charge of paying for the food brought his own home made sauce. It was really good, but was something new that I had to contend with. This sauce had a sweep peppery beginning and a spicy finish. I was really surprised that the next day, the sauce picked up even more spice and I had one or two friends that could not eat them because although they were still good, but a little too spicy for their palette. Hint, tone down the heat for crowds.

I'm cooking again for another group of 30 this coming weekend. I'm going to hope that Head Country makes a delivery and give myself another 2 hours for cooking. Thanks again Jeff, and to all of you who helped me over a few learning curves at the get together.

I have only learned that I have so much further to go in my quest for great food.

Enjoy the pics!

Chiles

Great looking spread. High heat sure gets it done but I keep going back to low and slow.

I want one of those Lang Smokers really, really badly. :D

I did not intend on doing the hot and fast method, but I was down to myself and one other person for the early hours helping for this event. It was an Alumni picnic that I was hosting at my house. It came down to sleep versus no sleep. Jeff from JoBoys took top honors on the ribs and his Q was top notch as well at the Get-Together. I headed his advice on how to tame the hot smoker cooking.

Jeff admits that in competitions, slow is his method. I don't get paid to do this and so far, it is just a hobby.

I think the higher temps have there place for sure.

Chiles

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom