First cook on WSM - Ribs - need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Master Chef
Greg,

I don't think they were done Greg. Your pit temp of 215 was a little low for a 5 hour rib cook. You can get "fall of the bone" texture, if that's what you want, without foil, you just need to cook them a little longer.

I cook baby backs with a pit temp of 225-235 for 4 1/2 hours and while not fall off the bone, they will come clean from the bone with the bite.

Foil is the easiest way to get fall off the bone and the easiest way to get mushy meat if you're not careful. For your next cook, try 3 hours outside foil at 225, then 45 minutes to 1 hour, in foil, then remove, sauce or glaze, then back on for another 30-45 minutes. If you do foil and you add liquid to the foil, be careful of the amount, I recommend only a quick spritz with apple juice and another light dusting of rub. Too much liquid will lead to the ribs steaming and the meat becoming mushy. GOOD LUCK!!

Yep... I'm with Bruce. If you wan't em falling off.... Foil is the easy way to do it.
I'd do em 225 3 hours, foil for 1 hour (with pineapple juice*), the 45 minutes at a higher heat to get some of the outer texture back. Sauce if desired.

Up for debate, but Pineapple has an enzyme that will help tenderize.

Greg,
Bruce hit the nail on the head with the advice, follow what he's said and you'll have consistently tender ribs everytime.

The one question I have is, "where were you measuring your temp?" Keep in mind if you were measuring the temp at the dome and it was 215*, you were actually only cooking at a temperature of about 200* which in my opinion is too low. This is due to about a 15* difference in the temperature at the dome and the top grate. In order to get the temps Bruce is stating you wanna shoot for a dome temp of between 245-260*. Don't worry about checking your pit temps in more than one spot or keeping an exact temp throughout the cook either, because that will just drive you nuts. I know cause it used to happen to me! #-o

One more thing if you haven't done so, calibrate all of your thermometers! This can throw another wrench into the cooking process! Good luck!

ScottyDaQ said:

Yeah it does tenderize the meat, but if you cook the ribs right you don't need it! You asked for it!! :taunt: :pop:

Larry Wolfe said:
ScottyDaQ said:

Yeah it does tenderize the meat, but if you cook the ribs right you don't need it! You asked for it!! :taunt: :pop:

Just saying what some people do.
I done it ... it was ok...I tried others things that I like better....and I stick to that, but it's not what gjabo178 was looking for. I like mine with a little more texture.

I take it there was a Pinnapple debate before :!:

Look forward to seeing the pics Greg :(

As a judge, I dont want the meat to "fall off the bone". I like it to gently pull away from the bone. Just my opionion.

Looks dang good to me! =P~ I don't want the meat to stay on the plate when I pick the rib up but I do like 'em close to fallin' off the bone myself. :!:

After seeing the pictures, you're right, it didn't pull back from the bone much. I'd get the temps up to 250 or even a little higher. Yes, I use
the Texas Crutch (foil). My biggest problem is getting em too tender,
so by adjusting your method a little bit I think you'll get where you want to be.

If you take a bite of a rib and the meat falls in your lap, you'll understand why you don't really want "falling off the bone" ribs.
Like Bill said, tender can still be attached to the bone. It's way
fun to get it perfect.

Good job Greg :!:
Ribs look good to me :!:

The way I see it if something goes wrong on a cook, not done enough, overdone, fell on the ground, etc..
=P~ =P~I get to eat it and try again =P~ =P~

Greg if they tasted as good as they looked, then you had some mighty fine ribs! =D> Looks like your very close to making a great rib! That's the best part about trying to make perfect Q you still get to eat your mistakes and they're still better than anything else you can buy from a restaurant!!

brian j said:
[quote="Captain Morgan":3suf1kzq]After seeing the pictures, you're right, it didn't pull back from the bone much. I'd get the temps up to 250 or even a little higher. Yes, I use
the Texas Crutch (foil). My biggest problem is getting em too tender,
so by adjusting your method a little bit I think you'll get where you want to be.

If you take a bite of a rib and the meat falls in your lap, you'll understand why you don't really want "falling off the bone" ribs.
Like Bill said, tender can still be attached to the bone. It's way
fun to get it perfect.
as much as i hate to say cappy is right... he's right. the meat isn't pulled back enough to indicate they're done.[/quote:3suf1kzq]

Cappy invented right!

It was a matter of much research and careful planning.
There was one little problem, so I invented Jim Minion, and he perfected it.

Back
Top Bottom