First Cook On Stumps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kloset BBQR

Executive Chef
Finished seasoning the smoker this afternoon and attempted my first smoked prime rib roast. My wife and son loved it. Tasted just a tad too smokey for me. I used Hickory. I'll try a milder wood next time. I cooked it until internal 120 in the smoker and then finished it off at 500 degrees in the oven for about 10 minutes to brown the exterior. The meat rested for about 30 minutes. Internal temp when sliced was about 131. Everyone loved it, especially my dog Buddy who got one of the bones!

If you look closely you can see a little bit of a smoke ring on the plated picture.

Here are the pics:

Got to vote with Dats on the Oak. It real highly easy to get oversmoked on them tightly regulated pits such as the Stumps..BWS..WSM..etc. Lot of woods tend to offer some overkill with Hickory..Pee Can and...Mesquite topping the list. Oak and a little fruit wood combo be just whut the doctor ordered in my book. Plum and apple is my personal favorites. And it dont take much of any of it. Think minimal here. Coupla real small chunks should work fine for the entire session. Make sure it got bark. The flavor of the wood is in the bark ya know?

bigwheel

Thanks guys for the comments. Looking forward to many more smokes this winter, something I couldn't do in the past. Puff, you should have seen Buddy run off with that bone. He wouldn't even eat it on the deck, probably thought someone would take it from him.

Buddy is indeed a lucky dog. I think I mentioned it once before how Buddy was in a battle with cancer. He was given just a few weeks to live back in October when he was found to have inoperable lung cancer. The Vet gave him little to no chance for survival. I decided to seek an opinion from a Veternary Oncologist who confirmed the original vets opinion and said that there was less than a 30% chance he would even respond to chemotherapy. Well we rolled the dice and decided to treat him anyway and after researching the internet for days I found some pills that supposedly would boost Buddy's immune system and help him fight the cancer. This was relatively new therapy and the pills were 100% natural, no prescription required. I thought I was probably wasting my money but ordered some. They said they were 100% guaranteed or your money back, so what did I have to lose? Well to make a long story short, Buddy has responded exceptionally well to his chemotherapy and pills (he takes 9 of them a day). All the tumors in his lungs but one are completly gone and the remaining one has shrunk by over 75% (as of his last visit). Buddy will be getting his last chemotherapy next Tuesday. The reason I'm mentioning this is that sometimes miracles do happen. I know that there are some people on this board whose family members are battling cancer and I wanted to share this story with them. All I can say is never give up hope and its amazing what can be accomplished with a little faith and prayer and good medicine. Sorry for going off on a unrelated story but it's our little Christmas miracle this year and I wanted to share it.

brian j said:
looks good. how was the potato cooked?

Brian, I got to confess, I didn't make it. My wife bought it at Heinens supermarket and I heated it up in a 350 degree oven until bubbly. :D

Big Mike said:
How much wood did you use. I used 4 good sized Hickory chunks (3 at the beginning and 1 half way thru the cook) and really didn't have much of a smoke flavor.

By the way, that looked really good.

Mike it's hard to say how much smoke the meat got. I had been adding about three chunks of hickory throughout the day when I was seasoning it for a total of about 9 chunks for the entire day. I know that the meat had at least three chunks worth of smoke when I cooked it. I don't think it was overcooked. The hickory taste was just a little strong for me but hey I'm a smoke wimp, my wife and son loved it.

Kloset BBQR said:
Thanks guys for the comments. Looking forward to many more smokes this winter, something I couldn't do in the past. Puff, you should have seen Buddy run off with that bone. He wouldn't even eat it on the deck, probably thought someone would take it from him.

Buddy is indeed a lucky dog. I think I mentioned it once before how Buddy was in a battle with cancer. He was given just a few weeks to live back in October when he was found to have inoperable lung cancer. The Vet gave him little to no chance for survival. I decided to seek an opinion from a Veternary Oncologist who confirmed the original vets opinion and said that there was less than a 30% chance he would even respond to chemotherapy. Well we rolled the dice and decided to treat him anyway and after researching the internet for days I found some pills that supposedly would boost Buddy's immune system and help him fight the cancer. This was relatively new therapy and the pills were 100% natural, no prescription required. I thought I was probably wasting my money but ordered some. They said they were 100% guaranteed or your money back, so what did I have to lose? Well to make a long story short, Buddy has responded exceptionally well to his chemotherapy and pills (he takes 9 of them a day). All the tumors in his lungs but one are completly gone and the remaining one has shrunk by over 75% (as of his last visit). Buddy will be getting his last chemotherapy next Tuesday. The reason I'm mentioning this is that sometimes miracles do happen. I know that there are some people on this board whose family members are battling cancer and I wanted to share this story with them. All I can say is never give up hope and its amazing what can be accomplished with a little faith and prayer and good medicine. Sorry for going off on a unrelated story but it's our little Christmas miracle this year and I wanted to share it.
Man I am touched........I wish we could have done the same for our old girl last year. Thanks for the story Dallas. Buddy is one lucky dog! :D

Having just lost my ever faithful 16 year old Rotty named Shiloh..I can feel your pain. When they go it just like losing a member of the family. My dear old Daddy was a bit of a pragmatist on such issues and had a unique perspective on pets..specifically dawgs. He say..."Dont get real attached to em cuz you most likely gonna outlive em."
Think this come right after one of my other favorite dawgs had just got smacked by a car out on the road. I found it very comforting for some reason. Will put old Buddy on my prayer list.

bigwheel

Kloset BBQR said:

Thanks for the inspiration Dallas! My mom died 12/26/05 last year of lung/throat cancer and my father is now battling throat cancer! I'm a dog lover myself and they are indeed a part of the family. After reading about your determination for your "Buddy", it really lifted my spirits!!! Thank you and enjoy your Stumps!!!

Thom Emery said:
Dallas Is the FEC there yet? Its great to have good grown boy toys.

Not yet Thom! I talked to them the other day. They said it should ship around Jan 15th.

Happy New Year to you and hope you get Chris Lilly to teach that class out there!

Dallas

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Kloset BBQR":3amt7e3a]Thanks guys for the comments. Looking forward to many more smokes this winter, something I couldn't do in the past. Puff, you should have seen Buddy run off with that bone. He wouldn't even eat it on the deck, probably thought someone would take it from him.

Thanks for the inspiration Dallas! My mom died 12/26/05 last year of lung/throat cancer and my father is now battling throat cancer! I'm a dog lover myself and they are indeed a part of the family. After reading about your determination for your "Buddy", it really lifted my spirits!!! Thank you and enjoy your Stumps!!![/quote:3amt7e3a]

Thanks Larry. I lost my mom two years ago so I know how tough it is. Lost my Dad 22 years ago and still miss him. Don't give up hope! We'll keep your Dad in our family prayers. All the best to you and your family and best wishes for a Happy New Year.

That is a great looking plate. I'm happy that your Buddy is still with you, I lost one a while back and do not think I'm going to get another. It's too tough on you when you lose them.

Back
Top Bottom