first chuck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john pen

Master Chef
Im getting ready to do my first chuck roast in the WSM. Gonna pull it and use it in an app. for dinner tommarrow. I was figuring on doing it like a brisket ??? Taking it to 195ish ? Foil at 160ish ?

Questions, comments, concerns...

Im doing a 3lb chuck roast..Iver never really seen a chuck roll, so I cant speak of it. Just put it in..also put a pan on the second rack to catch the drippings. Im going to skim off the grease and add the rest to the shredded meat...

Bryan S said:
Bringing Chuckie home from BJ's :D
ChuckRoll002.jpg
LOL... I love that pic. =D> =D> =D>

Love chuck roll.

john pen said:
Im getting ready to do my first chuck roast in the WSM. Gonna pull it and use it in an app. for dinner tommarrow. I was figuring on doing it like a brisket ??? Taking it to 195ish ? Foil at 160ish ?

Questions, comments, concerns...

Cliff you're gonna love the chuck!! I foil mine at 165* then continue to cook till temps between 200*-205* or until it easily shreds with a fork.

I agree with everyone on this thread Cliff, chuck has become one of the the favorites here in the house. Just make sure and catch all those juices !

Well, my first chuck is done...Id have to say Im not thrilled but Im not disappointed...I fell asleep and the alarm didnt go off (I prob set it wrong), so the meat ended in foil at 207...It'll serve its purpose well in an appatizer for dinner. Now Im intrigued, and will do another soon...

Throwing on some ribs now..prob gonna do the 3-2-1 due to time constrants (I overslept)...rubbed with WR...

Cliff H. said:
I can't stay awake long enough to do the stuff I want to do either. :grin:

Im toying with the fact that alcohol may play a large part in that problem for me.... 8-[

I also wanted to add that my chuck and rib cook have Pecan wood added to the burn compliments of Wittdog...

Chuck

Cliff H, used to have a life tyme like your firebox...buy one of them big cheap stainless salad bowls, insert chuckie, cover with i-talian dressing til you got about 1/4" of extra in the bottom.. go out and flip the chuckie about every hour til you can't stand it any longer...try it!

john pen said:
Well, my first chuck is done...Id have to say Im not thrilled but Im not disappointed...

John what was it you didn't like? Just curious, maybe there's a way it could've been better?

I think I overcooked it. I havent pulled it yet. The inner middle part is good, the outside a little dry...Im going to do another soon, as my wife loves the bbq beef more than pork...

john pen said:
I think I overcooked it. I havent pulled it yet. The inner middle part is good, the outside a little dry...Im going to do another soon, as my wife loves the bbq beef more than pork...

You foiled it and it seems dry? Chuckie??!

How big was it, what temp did you foil at and did you trim all external fat?

If you rest it in the foil for a couple of hours after it's cooked, then pull I'd be suprised if it still seemed dry to you ... but maybe that finish temp isn't to your liking.

Something else you could try is raising the temp if you cooked it low this time. Go hotter, up to like 260ºF pit temp. I recall doing a whole blade (chuck roll is in this cut somewhere I think) cut up, at about 210ºF without foil. It took forever (like 24+ hours) and was dry. (It was January and about -30ºF AND windy AND I used LOTS of water in the pan ... learning experience. #-o )

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom