first buckboard bacon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Buckboard bacon wrapup

After the cure is applied, Hi Mountain says let the meat stand in the refrigerator at least 10 days, turning on the 5th day. I let it cure 14 days, turning it every few days, then rinsed it thoroughly and soaked it 3 hours (they say 1 to 2 hours) in several changes of water. Then, looking around for a drying rack, I put it on the bottom rack from the WSM to let it air dry in the refrigerator overnight.

This morning I started 7 briquettes and added 2 smallish chunks of hickory, inverted the top rack to get the handles out of the way, and set the rack of meat on top of it. It wasn't hard to keep the temp at 150° for 45 minutes, and then I opened up the vents and added a few more briquettes to get it up to 200°. I also added some smallish pieces of cherry wood. There were some temp swings when the charcoal would exhaust itself and need replenishing, but no big deal. I probably used fewer than 30 briquettes altogether.

The thin half of the butt reached 145° internal and came off after about 3 hours. The thick half took a little over an hour longer to reach 145°. This evening I got out Uncle Jimmy's knife -- which hasn't been used since he died more than 20 years ago -- and sliced our bacon. (It was a darned good substitute for a slicer. Jody said he'd be pleased to know it's being used.)

Out of the cure, rinsed and soaked, patted dry, and ready to air dry.

The thin half has reached 145° and is ready to come off the smoker.

Putting Uncle Jimmy's knife to good use.

Buckboard bacon.

In FoodSaver bags and ready for the freezer. The weight going into the curing step was 6 lb. The final weight was about 5 3/8 lb.

The taste is -- how to describe it? -- smoky, not too salty, pleasing. Pending a full taste test (bacon, eggs, creamy grits, biscuits and gravy), I'm declaring this first try a success. :D

--John

Looks like Uncle Jimmy left you a cool knife. Your uncle or Jody's?

The bacon is a real treat. I like it diced in spaghetti carbonara, chowder and the like. Well, sandwiches are good too.

Griff said:
Looks like Uncle Jimmy left you a cool knife. Your uncle or Jody's?
My mother's sister's 5th or 6th husband. :oops: I never met him.

--John
(When we cleaned out her safe deposit box we found divorce papers concerning a husband we didn't even know about. :shock: )

BchrisL said:
75_1_b.JPG

John,
You might get a Calrod unit and rig it up inside the smoker and run it with a thermostat. A tin of wood chips placed on top of it at the proper time would provide the smoke.

Chris
Cool dual. Got a part number Chris? Is it a 6" or 8" ?

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Cool dual. Got a part number Chris? Is it a 6" or 8" ?

WB30X354.jpg

8" Surface Element
P/N: WB30X354
8" Tilt Lock Hinge Mounted Surface Unit used on many GE brand ranges. 3 Wire 2450 watts. Standard (low rise) with attached trim ring No. WB2X1351. Center medallion and Terminal Block included with all 3-wire units.
Appliance Repair.com
$ 39.95

Wire it the way you want it. It is a resistave load so you could run it with a dimmer if the dimmer had the wattage capacity, or you can use an on/off type thermostat

wittdog said:
Did I miss the Breakfast pics?
No, breakfast today was the tail-end of a loaf of apple "bread" (more like cake -- made from an "Amish Friendship Bread" starter), then we did some last-minute errands, and then we started for Florida on the bikes. Because of our late start, we only made it as far as Danville VA.

Across the road from our motel parking lot, I saw a little white and red sign ...

... that identifies a Q joint we bypassed on our 2007 bbq tour (because we had eaten too recently) -- Short Sugar's Bar-B-Q in Danville is a VA annex to the Reidsville NC original.

I ordered the chopped pork plate with hot tangy slaw, fries and hush puppies. Actually, the only choice was regular or tangy slaw. Jody ordered bbq salad with pulled pork. (It sounds kind of out-of-place for a Q joint to serve something called bbq salad, doesn't it? :? )

The "Sugar" in the name struck us as appropriate, because sweetness was the common flavor thread. The unusual hush-donuts were the sweetest, a little more sweet than I like in hush puppies, but still worth eating. The slaw was really tasty, with the advertised heat (mild) and tang, plus a bit of sweetness. I appreciated how well the chopped cabbage stayed together on the fork. The sauce is a thin, dark, vinegar-base sauce with little taste of vinegar, no discernible pepper, and, you guessed it, a bit of sweetness. Against my standard of comparison, Scott's, it had virtually no flavor. I used Texas Pete to perk up the pork (and even Texas Pete has a touch of sweetness). The pork was a little dry on top, as if it had spent a minute or two under infra-red, but once it was mixed together it was pretty good. No sauce at all from the kitchen.

Not a top-tier experience but not bad. I'd go back. In fact, I'll plan to stop at the Reidsville restaurant sometime when I can get there around mealtime.

--John
(I'm not sure, have I hijacked my own thread? :shock: )

Dang. I remember when we bypassed Short Sugars last year. Yes, you did highjack your own thread. I'm not sure on the rules in that regard. But as a moderator if I don't caution you to stay on topic Rempe will dock my pay.

Back
Top Bottom