First brisket tomorrow.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starwalt12

Cook
As topic implies I'll be doing my first brisket tomorrow. This brisket was cut in half long ways so that it would fit iY n my freezer so I'll be cooking just one half of it. I'd say the half I'm cooking is round 5-6 lbs. couple questions here..... What kind of cook time can I expect and to what internal temp am I going. Should I wrap the brisket at any certain point or just let it go? Should I wrap it when it's done and let rest like a butt and if so how long? Finally, any good rubs out there or maybe something I can throw together real quick? Thanks in advance guys!

me I try for around 195-200, I dont foil during the cook but I do foil at the rest period. It will stay warm a long time. I do not slice until i am ready to serve. rubs- just do a search, the one thing I do is try to limit salt in the rub.

One thing to remember is that the brisket will plateau at 160-170º for a l-o-o-o-ng time. Don't panic--that's when the magic is happening.

So I got this brsiket on this morning at 10:45, it is now 4Oclock and this thing is 199 degrees.....It's been chuggin away at 225-235 the whole time...Was this too fast?

Wow that was only like 5 hours. Most of my briskets take atleaset 8 hours.

How big was your brisket? I know if you get it at a chain market like Kroger, Walmart, they usually process it, and will only sell you the flat, which in-turn is only half of a brisket.

Well I'd say it was round 7 lbs give or take a bit. It was a half as I said but it was cut long ways right down the middle, so it still had the point and the flat. All inn all it turned out good for my first try at it. I wrapped it in 5 layers of foil and more newspaper than you could imagine. It
Sat for bout 6 hours in that cooler like that and temp until
We decided to eat it. Not bad at all. Just a wee little dry
And I do mean just a bit. I was happy with it.

Next time try injecting it with some beef base, or bullion. It does not take away from the flavor of the beef, and makes it nice and moist.

When I do a brisket, I make it a habit to mop it every 30 to 45 minutes for the first 4 hours, then I wrap it in a couple layers of foil, and put it back on heat. Correct me if I am wrong, but after the first 3 or 4 hours the meat will not accept any more smoke, it will become bitter tasting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom