First Boston Butt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

re4

Assistant Cook
Put on my first BB on a Brinkmann ECB early this morning. Any thoughts on fat up or down? I've started it with the fat side down and thought I would turn it at about 5 hours. Any comments would be helpful.

I would have gone fat cap up. All the juice that flows off the the fat goes into the meat keeping it moist.

Thanks, that was what I was thinking too, I think I'llina flip it at about 5 hours or so. Had some trouble early on with getting a steady temp. Finally got it sitting around 220 and I don't want to jack it up.

I'm hoping that's the case here........looking good so far. Temp has settled at 225 and the pork is looking good.

I'm hoping that's the case here........looking good so far. Temp has settled at 225 and the pork is looking good.

After 5 1/2hours the pork is at 165 and the smoker at a steady 220. Hopefully I'm on the right path.

Thanks Nick, the pork is doing fine, it's at 170 after 6 1/2 hours. The old brinkmann is holding pretty steady around 220. My mouth is starting to water cuz i peaked at the pork.......

After 9 1/2 hrs pork is at 185 and looking sweet. Feel like I did when my wife gave birth!!!! Is that wrong? ;-)

Butts are usually good around 195 - 200, well thats where like to land mine. I will normally wrap mine in foil about 4 to 5 hours in, and when it reaches anywhere from 175 - 190 I will take it off the smoker and let it rest. While the meat rests you will normally gain any where from 5 to 15 degrees in temp. Congrats on your first Butt, hope it was good.

As far as the pictures, the way that, that line is set up, it is still on your device. I would suggest opening a photo bucket account or something like that. I give you the info on how to post it right on the page with the picture.

Back
Top Bottom