Fast and Furious Brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
I injected an 11lb flat with beef broth, coffee and brown sugar. Then I rubbed it down with a salt and pepper based rub. No sugar in it at all.

Onto the smoker at 12:30 with the fat cap down. I let the wsm run wide open. Temps settled in at 370 dome, 350 grate, 340 under the grate with sand in the wsm pan.

At 3:30 the internal temp was at 170. Time to foil. :shock:

At 4:00 the internal temp was at 195. At this point I was sure that I had pushed the maverick probe all the way thru the flat somehow so I began to check it.

The internal temp was correct but the probe had lots of resistance when put in the brisket so I began checking it every 5 deg.

At 4:30 the internal temp was at 210 and it was starting to relax a bit so I put it in cooler wrapped in towels for about 3 hours.

The meat was very tender and moist. Everything was there except flavor. It tasted a bit bland. This method works, but to me, brisket taste better when done low and slow.

If I use this method again I will use injections with much stronger flavors because they seem to exit the finished product. I didn't let it sit in the injection overnight either. That might have helped a bunch.

Captain Morgan said:
sounds like a pro at work....I'm doing butts this week, I might try the fast and furious method.

I have to say that This flat was trimmed pretty close and it didn't have the benefit of the point to help it along. The method works.

I will inject with more salt next time and maybe let it set overnight to keep it from having the pot roast flavor. ;)

Why do you think the flavor was bland?? It's not like it has to come from an external source and need time to absorb. Seems strange to me. Then again, so do a lot of things.

I do briskits & buts around 300 deg but they aint trimmed of any fat, they come out fine. I havent done any in a while now I like ribs & steak better

Well like an old world class bbq cook was overheard saying at a cookoff one time..."It aint how you cook a brisket..its how you handle it after its done that counts." Now he didnt go into deeper details..dad gummit. Now he speaking from a comp perspective of course. May not even apply to backyard cooking.

bigwheel

Let it set all night and drag it out and slap it around occasionally. Pecker tracks aint good.

bigwheel

That looks real tasty. I've tried this method a few times and it works good. One thing I did notice was that I had to use more pecan chunks than usual ( a little heavier smoke ) to get a deep smokey flavor in the meat. Maybe because of the shorter cooking time ?

I do them with the fat cap up. However, you're cooking it so fast the fat might not render down through like it does when low & slow?

Back
Top Bottom