ET-732

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChuckBBQSmoker

Senior Cook
I've been thinking of getting this but I haven't yet. I read a lot of things that people love it as compared to the ET-73 but I have one simple question...do you need to drill holes in a WSM to set this up? I'm terrified of really messing up my smoker.

NOTE: The Maverick ET-732 has a larger probe and does NOT fit through the eyelet holes. I think the eyelet can be drilled out so the ET-732 probe will fit.

Pigs

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
ChuckBBQSmoker said:
I've been thinking of getting this but I haven't yet. I read a lot of things that people love it as compared to the ET-73 but I have one simple question...do you need to drill holes in a WSM to set this up? I'm terrified of really messing up my smoker.

Get http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/Eyel ... ck%29.html No need for a drill.

Pigs

Thanks for the info..... :) :) :)

Not sure. I have seen dudes that put a bigger probe in a eyelet, they just used a drill to make the hole larger to fit the probe. Never done it, so I'm not sure. I don't see a problem with drilling it out to make the probe fit right, but I might be wrong.

Pigs

I've installed two sets of Guru Eyelet and I be leery of reaming them out much. Here is another option from CajunBandit, looks like they have 1/4" and 3/8" Sensor Grommets, but you would have to drill your WSM. I bought replacement doors from them and they were good to work with.

So how is it going Chuck. Did you order any eyelets? If you need the 3/8 model from CajunBandit and have to drill from a 1/4 inch to 3/8 hole, you can buy high temp touch up paint (black) from a a appliance parts store, Lows, or Home Depot. I'm going to replace the hardware on Val's WSM with stainless soon and I'm thinking a little wood stove cement would not hurt on the inside of the shelf brackets, and on the threads to seal it off from unwanted air in the pit. Had a pal make some stainless water pan and shelf brackets from 1/2 inch heavy channel stainless. 10 gauge. ( he works for Q LOL ) Did that to mine, some SOB stole mine, my fault, left it out in sight. That's a whole another deal. I cant help but think, with proper care, and a little time and love a WSM can last you for the rest of your life. That's for sure with Greg, as he totes his to the attic for storage :LOL: . Guess he want's to save it for his great grand kids. Not a damn thing wrong with that!

Pigs

No I haven't gotten them yet. Not sure if I'm going to. I really don't want to drill my smoker. Do you know how long the probe wires are? Thinking of just going through the top vent.

Why not drill..the smoker is a tool not a show piece right? hhmm..step back Hawk and look at yours..heheh..anyways what I am getting at is mods are to your benefit why not use them. I had 4 ports built across the front of mine just above the prep table just for that reason. I know it is hard to start cutting on your unit but it is for the better. Good Luck.

hawk wild bbq co said:
Why not drill..the smoker is a tool not a show piece right? hhmm..step back Hawk and look at yours..heheh..anyways what I am getting at is mods are to your benefit why not use them. I had 4 ports built across the front of mine just above the prep table just for that reason. I know it is hard to start cutting on your unit but it is for the better. Good Luck.

I'm just terrified of messing something up and not what's hold my brackets is screwed up. I'm really not a handy person.

ScottyDaQ said:
So...run the wires under the lid, or get someone handy to drill you a hole. :)

I agree with Scotty. I had two WSM's both with the eyelets and I used them a total of ONCE. All the other times the wires were run under the lid and it didn't hurt a thing.

I used to run them under the lid and didn't have any problems but installed the eyelets anyway. Now I use the eyelets as I was worried about the probe eventually busting where it was always kinked. I wouldn't ream the eyelets to allow for a bigger probe, there isn't that much meat on them to begin with and if you go to far it may not support the top grate when fully loaded.

Back
Top Bottom