Essential BBQ tools and accessories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What do you have or plan to use for cleaning?

Are you serving as well as cooking? What meat(s) are you cooking? If serving, how are you planning to keep hot foods hot and cold foods cold?

Just a thought, If your going to use 8 foot tables to do prep and cutting of meat they are only 30 inches high. I use PVC pipe slipped over the legs to raze them to 37 inches. Doesn't sound like much but your back will thank you. Kind of a been there, Done that deal for me.

Rich Decker said:
Coolers don't work to well for holding food warm in a commercial setting. I have bought a lot of stuff from this company including Carlisle holding containers.

http://www.equippers.com/

Rich

Amen Brother.. get some of those food pan cambros instead of coolers for holding hot food. I have 1 and could use a second one. for coolers for keeping things cold.. get one or more of those big suckers that keeps stuff cold for days.. they are great. Smaller coolers just dont work.. things just dont fit in them.. the drawback to the large ones is you need two people to handle them.

the only other thing you are gonna need is HELP.

Rich,
What catagory are the Carlisle Holding container under? The URL doesn't have a search function.
DATsBBQ

My beer huggie is an important tool in my arsenal of BBQ tools, materials and equipment. Oh and my tongs. Gotta have my tongs.

DATsBBQ said:
Rich,
What catagory are the Carlisle Holding container under? The URL doesn't have a search function.
DATsBBQ

They are under Serving equipment, sub-category Insulated food and beverage carriers. They are $149.00 each.

Rich Decker

Rich Decker said:
DATsBBQ said:
Rich,
DATsBBQ

They are under Serving equipment, sub-category Insulated food and beverage carriers. They are $149.00 each.

Rich Decker

Rich,

Just curious on why you chose Carlisle over Cambro?

Rich Decker said:
Coolers don't work to well for holding food warm in a commercial setting. I have bought a lot of stuff from this company including Carlisle holding containers.

Rich

Well, I would have to say that it depends on what you are holding, and for how long. If I am cooking butts, and briskets,(cuts with a substantial amount of heft,) I can hold them in the 180-200 degree range for several hours in foil. The more pieces of meat you put in the cooler, the more self sustaining it is. They actually continue to cook and become overly tender. I would think that beans in foil pans would also stay plenty hot in a cooler. A Cambro is nothing more than an HDPE cooler. IMHO, a Coleman cooler seals better and is more effective than a Cambro. You can increase the effectiveness of the cooler by puttuin a towel over the top of your food items. I use my upright to hold beans and potatoes, and 150 quart Coleman coolers for meat items. Sorry Rich, but I've got to disagree with you! :!: #-o

ps. you can buy 3-4 huge Coleman coolers for the cost on one Cambro type apparatus. The pit you have bought has a warmer for foil pan items. Your meat will hold fine in a cooler. The Cambro products also, tend to leak water/ condensate. They have an o-ring seal that fails. Ask Uncle Bubba!

Mine did leak when I used it for keeping things cold while traveling. Cambro replaced the seal and it has been fine ever since. I would buy another. They hold beans hot, and I mean hot hot, for over 5 hours and transporting things in pans is much easier than in a cooler, especially multiple pans. Since you have the upright, I'd use it like Woody described if you can. Towels in a cooler do make things work better. Also, some boiling water for about 10 minutes before gets them really nice and warmed up. Guess it all depends upon what you want to do and how often you are going to be doing it.

Don't forget: First Aid kit with peroxide, disposable latex gloves, hand/dish soap, bleach for sanitizing.

Woodman said:
Rich Decker said:

Rich

Well, I would have to say that it depends on what you are holding, and for how long. If I am cooking butts, and briskets,(cuts with a substantial amount of heft,) I can hold them in the 180-200 degree range for several hours in foil. The more pieces of meat you put in the cooler, the more self sustaining it is. They actually continue to cook and become overly tender. I would think that beans in foil pans would also stay plenty hot in a cooler. A Cambro is nothing more than an HDPE cooler. IMHO, a Coleman cooler seals better and is more effective than a Cambro. You can increase the effectiveness of the cooler by puttuin a towel over the top of your food items. I use my upright to hold beans and potatoes, and 150 quart Coleman coolers for meat items. Sorry Rich, but I've got to disagree with you! :!: #-o

ps. you can buy 3-4 huge Coleman coolers for the cost on one Cambro type apparatus. The pit you have bought has a warmer for foil pan items. Your meat will hold fine in a cooler. The Cambro products also, tend to leak water/ condensate. They have an o-ring seal that fails. Ask Uncle Bubba!

When I used to put hot food ( butts and briskets) in a cooler the cooler warped the plastic blistered. I've seen others at the comps that have don the same. The Carlisles work great when delivering food cooked at home, I have a small drop off party this weekend.

Rich

ScottyDaQ said:
Rich Decker said:
DATsBBQ said:
Rich,
DATsBBQ

Rich Decker

Rich,

Just curious on why you chose Carlisle over Cambro?

The recommendations of other cooks and mostly cost.

Rich

Well, I have had over 20 butts at 200 degrees internal temp in a Coleman cooler with no damage! Could be, that if you put some pans of beans straight out of a 300 degree oven, it would damage it! I guess it would be difficult to put a bunch of foil wrapped briskets stacked in a Cambro too! In the end, both the cooler, and the Cambro products are made out of the same material: High Density Polyethylene. The cooler is vac formed in two pieces (outer and inner shell) and assembled to create the air space necessary for insulation I believe . The Cambro is rotomolded in a single operation and in a single piece . In the end, HDPE is a very poor high temp material. It has very low Vicat Softening Point, as well as Heat Deflection Point. I am very familiar with Carlisle Corp as they are a large competitor of my company's in another arena. In the end, I prefer the cooler because of cost/volume considerations. I also like the cooler because it serves the dual purpose of cold and hot maintenance.
As an aside, the process used to make a Cambro is actually much more cost effective. I wonder why they cost so much more?

Back
Top Bottom