english bacon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DATsBBQ

Head Chef
Well don't know know what "English" bacon is, but the name impies that it is pork thing.

I know what Candian Bacon is, and what regular bacon is.

Just need more information, I'm sure some one here has the answer.

I haven't been able to find it here,not in stores, nor have any of my english friends. but you can find it online (or something like it) , closest thing to it would be country ham. They call our bacon "streaky" bacon, the english rasher of bacon tends to have no fat running through it, just around the edges and its thicker than what we would consider thick cut bacon.

http://www.oscarssmokedmeats.com/bacon.htm

Engish Bacon is a boneless butt that has belly bacon wrapped around the outside of it...a thin layer of geletin in sprinlked between both pieces of meat in order to bind them together then they are placed in a stockette and smoked at a low temp...both the boneless but and the pork belly need to be brined and cured over a period of a couple of days....I will post a recipe when I have time...or maybe Joker would be so kind as to post the one from his new Kutas book.....English bacon is very good it is like a cross between bacon and ham... =P~

there ya go, when in doubt on a "cured" item...ask wittdog. Cant wait to see the recipe. Thats my favorite part of breakfast when I go to the UK. now maybe I wont have to wait till next june

Oh, so I get to do all the work... :!: (I think this is the one Wittdog was talking about......)

Shinkenspeck
(Ham-Bacon)

From Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas ~ 3rd Edition

shinkenspeck600vv4.jpg

Ingredients for 10 LBS.

2 ½ gallons ice water
⅔ cup salt
1 cup Instacure No. 1
½ cup powdered dextrose
½ cup ground white pepper
¼ cup ground juniper berries

As an extra fancy bacon, the Shinkenspeck requires a little extra work to produce. When finished, it will have the appearance of a rolled roast. A fresh bellie (fresh bacon) and lean leg of pork (fresh ham) are required. Notice in the photograph that the outside of this Shinkenspeck is a bellie and the center is a lean (ham) leg of pork. Both these meats are placed in a brine made by mixing the above ingredients. Remove to cooler for 5-6 days at 40º. After curing, this meat is allowed to drip dry before rolling into a roast.

The bacon is gently powdered with gelatin, the lean meat (ham) is placed inside it, and then the bacon is rolled around it and tied.

It is not a bad idea to smoke this ham-bacon by placing it into a small stockinette bag. When this is done, place into the smoke house at 135ºF until an internal temperature of 127-128ºF is reached. Smoke the bacon very lightly towards the end of the cycle. The smoke should be almost imperceptible.

That's the one I was talking about....and I have made it :!: it is very tastey...nice work finding it Joker.

Big Freddie said:
thanks wittdog , I knew one of you guys would know. I can't wait to try your recipe. Just one more question, what is Instacure #1 and where can I buy it. Oops, thats two.

Freddie
Keno, Oregon =D>
http://www.sausagemaker.com/
Here is a link for the sausage making suppy store in my area...you can get the insta cure from them if there is no supply store in your area.
Insta cure #1 is also know as Prague cure #1 it is sodium nitrate…Which prevents botulism toxicins from forming while smoking at temps below 200*…..it is needed because the temps, lack of moisture and oxygen found when smoking at such low temps are a prime breading ground for botulism…this is the cure that gives ham is pink color..and helps to give smoked sausage it red color…it also changes the flavor of meat…when left in a brine to long the flavor is kind of like a medicine taste..When you make bacon you need to use cure #1, cure #2 is for dried meats and works like a time release cold cap…a little bit of cure goes along way…

Big Freddie said:
thanks wittdog , I knew one of you guys would know. I can't wait to try your recipe. Just one more question, what is Instacure #1 and where can I buy it. Oops, thats two.

Freddie
Keno, Oregon =D>
Instacure #1 is a basic cure that is used to cure all meats that require cooking, smoking and canning. Instacure is used in place of Prague Powder. I bought mine at www.sausagemaker.com but it can be found anywhere you buy sausage or meat curing supplies.

Big Freddie said:

Freddie
Keno, Oregon =D>

I've never made "english bacon" but for pork loin back bacon I always
use Morton Tender Quick. I have a feeling It's the same thing but I'm
not sure if it can be substituted 1:1 in a recipe.

Chuckwagoncook said:
The Great sausage recipes and Meat curing by Rytek Kutas is an excellent book, the DVD is pretty good too. All of the recipes I have tried out of that book has been good so far.
CW are you using our pit for making the Kutas recipes or something else

Back
Top Bottom