Easter Pig

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rag1

Executive Chef
I cooked my 3rd pig today. The first one was cooked in a Lang60 for 9 hrs at 240*. It came out perfect.
The second one was cooked in my MC 250 at the tail end of a snow storm in Feb. That was a large hog that could have cooked longer. A lot of drunks at the party kept opening the door which threw off the cook times.
Today's cook was a dress rehearsal for catering. It was the same size as the first one. I figured 9hrs at 240*. Started at 3 am and by 8am I could see the meat temp lagging; so up went the chamber temp. I boosted it 4 or 5 times till the last hours were at 350* for a total time of 11 hrs.
The meat was very good. The skin as you can see turned black from the hot temps. One spot deep in the shoulders did not pull from bone freely.
One other major time effect was 2 cut up butts stuffed in the cavity. I had to make a sewing needle to lace the cavity shut. I cut one from walnut with a curved end....worked great. In the future extra butts will be external of the pig; most likely in oven bags after the bark forms.
I found a cheaper wire brush at a restaurant supply store that works as good or better than more expensive ones ($3.95). It ain't purdy, but works well.
Oh, the damned apple was way too big. Better suited for a steer.

http://usera.imagecave.com/Rag/Marchpig/

When I came out with that wooden needle, the neighbor's cat took off again. Doesn't trust me a lick. :LOL: Actually, Barb was kind of scarce too.

You are a talented man......scary but talented....it helps that you are so old you remember when wooden needles were the norm..

What'd that pig weigh?
Stinks it went black on ya... you mention the high temps
what happened and how high did it get on you?
I've cooked several and never had one get black before,
curious to know what the details of your cook were

A little black skin ain't gonna hurt nuthin anyhow...
I'm sure the meat underneath tasted excellent!

SJ

Bet you had fun cooking that pig. Couple of questions What size pit where you using and how much did the pig weigh? Oh yea did you rub it down with any rub or inject with any seasoning?

The very first pig was the same size as this one...... live wt = 100#, dressed wt = 70#.
This one had 2 butts in the cavity, where the first one was unsewn and open (was cooked in a Lang 60 vs MC 250).
The first pig was done in 9 hrs at 240* and had a dark Mahogany color (which is supposed to be normal).
After 5 hours on this last one it was becoming obvious that I would overshoot 9 hrs. So, I increased the pit temp a bit at a time over 3 hrs winding up at 340* to 350*, finishing in 11 hrs.
Everybody is standing around while I get ready to carve. I had a bad feeling that hotdogs would be coming out shortly. I was amazed that under the black skin the meat was top notch and as good as my other 2 pigs. That skin gets like thick hard plastic and protects and cooks the meat perfectly.
Using a temp probe, cook till 200* is reached at shoulders and hind end and all will be perfect. Easier than briskets and butts.

I'm impressed! Nice job.

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know how much the cooking time is affected by cooking it in-the-round instead of butterflied or halved?

--John

Back
Top Bottom