Easter Brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey Lew

Head Chef
I was asked if I could bring some BBQ to our relatives Easter lunch tomorrow so I decided it was time to do a brisket. Cooked a small brisket last week on the WSM and heated it up later using some of Waler Jetton's mop. It was delicious. Going to use the same method for the cook as last time but baste with the mop as it cooks this time.

Scored the fat cap and rubbed in a liberal amount of Suckle Busters Competition Rub. Made sure it got down through the scores of the fat cap and onto the meat. Scores should help with the mop process and allow more flavor to penetrate the brisket. At least that's the plan.

Going to cook it straight through at 250 degrees with pecan and some red oak for smoke. Looking for an internal temperature between 185 and 195 in the thickest part of the brisket before I pull it and foil it for the cool down. The brisket is a 9 pounder so it should take about ten or eleven hours to get there with the basting and all.

We shall see . . .

On the WSM at 1:00 p.m.

Three hours in and mopped 3 times now. Internal temperature is 164 degrees.

5.5 hours in and mopped 5 times. Internal temperature at 175 degrees.

9:30 p.m. (8.5 hours in) Pulled brisket at 200 degrees after getting sidetracked watching a movie. Wrapped it in foil with more mop and then snuggled it in an ice chest with bath towels to rest an hour or so. Plan to put it in fridge and reheat tomorrow before going to Easter lunch. Happy Easter everyone.

9:00 a.m. Easter morning. Sliced brisket up cold and plan to warm up with more mop just before leaving for lunch. Tasted it cold . . . YUM, YUM. This came out great!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Looks great Lew. Neva thought of that scoring the fat cap deal but sounds like a good plan. I got one chuckling away on the electrified brinkmann as we speak. Been basting it with a highly reduced volume and slightly tweaked version of old Walter's Mop myself. Its hit the wall at 160 and seems to want to stay there for a while. Pelting it with pee can and peach wood. Real good Black Angus packer limp as a dishrag and you can see the marbling running through the flat. It had already been real thoroughly trimmed for a packer. Took out that old ugly yellow fat triangle on the lean side and a pass or two over the fat cap along with a little digging from one side and it was ready to rumble. It long and sorta flat like a big flying squirrel. Seemed to take forever to shrink up enough to fit the grates. Looked like a big coiled up boa constrictor for a long time. Gave it a wooster splash and using Omaha Steaks Seasoning for the rub. I just love that stuff on anything. Course some fat boy set on my high dollar made in Japan (prior to radioactivity camera) so I dont have no pics..which means it did not happen. I know the rules..sniff sniff.

bigwheel said:
Looks great Lew. Neva thought of that scoring the fat cap deal but sounds like a good plan. I got one chuckling away on the electrified brinkmann as we speak. Been basting it with a highly reduced volume and slightly tweaked version of old Walter's Mop myself. Its hit the wall at 160 and seems to want to stay there for a while. Pelting it with pee can and peach wood. Real good Black Angus packer limp as a dishrag and you can see the marbling running through the flat. It had already been real thoroughly trimmed for a packer. Took out that old ugly yellow fat triangle on the lean side and a pass or two over the fat cap along with a little digging from one side and it was ready to rumble. It long and sorta flat like a big flying squirrel. Seemed to take forever to shrink up enough to fit the grates. Looked like a big coiled up boa constrictor for a long time. Gave it a wooster splash and using Omaha Steaks Seasoning for the rub. I just love that stuff on anything. Course some fat boy set on my high dollar made in Japan (prior to radioactivity camera) so I dont have no pics..which means it did not happen. I know the rules..sniff sniff.
Sounds like we doing a through down here. I got my brisket at Costoc. They labeled it as untrimmed but somebody cut the damn point off. Next time I'm going to get my brisket at the Restaurant Depot. They don't alter them and the select grade is only $1.98 a pound. The Black Angus Choice grade is $2.49 a pound. Costco hit me for $3.52 a pound for this Choice one. Oh well . . . :roll:

Well I think you gave em a skinning on that deal. You got a nice big flat or at least nose off. They normally charge big time extra for that point to come up missing. Mine came out real good but could prob have used another hour in the foil but everybody was ready to eat and it was checking 190 and not quite as tender as is customary..but it was a big hit. I will post my tweaked up Walter sauce over in the recipe section in case you ever want to give it a try.

Lew-that looks perfect!
bigwheel-looking forward to the sauce recipe.

Just took 2 loaves of sourdough bread out of the oven-whole house smells good and the crust is still crackling a bit. Time to warm the ham up a bit.

Back
Top Bottom