Early Morning Wal Mart Shopping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you putting that roasting pan inside the wsm, or just using it to hold the meat for pics? Seems like the pan would keep the smoke away from the bottom side.

Bryan S said:
[quote="The Missing Link":2t9k5zd1]I was thinking do you make your on kraut and if so how do you doit.
Yes i do. I made it for the first time last year per Shawn W's instructions. It's so easy to do. Maybe Shawn will post the recipe/procedure in the recipe section. It's shredded cabbage, salt and a little time is all really. For every 5 lbs of cabbage you sprinkle 3 TBS of Kosher or Sea Salt, add some fresh dill, pound it down really good in a crock and repeat. Keep doing layers of 5 lb of cabbage, salt and dill then pound it down till crock is 3/4 full. I have a 10, 6 and a 3 gallon crock. You can also use a food grade 5 gal plastic bucket if you don't have a crock. :D[/quote:2t9k5zd1]

I make my own too, here's what I do. I go to the store buy a bag, open it and enjoy. Hard work but worth every bit of the effort!

Bryan S said:
[quote="Susan Z":1pw1xjrt]Is that the EZ Kraut or the crock (scrape the mold off, eww) kraut?
In the crock for 8 - 10 weeks kraut. But i use saran wrap and a rubber band to seal off the crock thus no mold ewwww! kraut. :!: This is the new method of making kraut. I got no mold at all while it was fermenting. =D>[/quote:1pw1xjrt]

Stuff in the bags don't have mold!! :taunt:

Larry you are right it is easyer than making your owe. I beat that there is a defficene in taste form the home made one than the one from the store.

Bryan S said:
It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! better than store bought vinegar kraut. =D> It's done. =P~ =P~ =P~

No sauerkraut is made with vinegar (at least it shouldn't be). It should be made with just salt and cabbage.

Bryan S said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":pugtiamj][quote="Bryan S":pugtiamj]It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! better than store bought vinegar kraut. =D> It's done. =P~ =P~ =P~

No sauerkraut is made with vinegar (at least it shouldn't be). It should be made with just salt and cabbage.[/quote:pugtiamj]
When i grow up i hope i'm as smart as you. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)[/quote:pugtiamj]

You are the one that said the vinegary store bought sauerkraut!!

Bryan S said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":vq2vgd75][quote="Bryan S":vq2vgd75][quote="Larry Wolfe":vq2vgd75][quote="Bryan S":vq2vgd75]It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! better than store bought vinegar kraut. =D> It's done. =P~ =P~ =P~

No sauerkraut is made with vinegar (at least it shouldn't be). It should be made with just salt and cabbage.[/quote:vq2vgd75]
When i grow up i hope i'm as smart as you. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)[/quote:vq2vgd75]

You are the one that said the vinegary store bought sauerkraut!![/quote:vq2vgd75]
Because that's what it tastes like compared to homemade kraut. :!:
Apples and Oranges, Night and Day..........................................................................................[/quote:vq2vgd75]

I've never had any vinegary tasting kraut, must be like your beer in PA!! 8-[ BTW, speaking of night and day, open bag enjoy................chop, salt mash, mash, mash, mash wait ten weeks? :taunt:

Bryan S said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":2abuea1m][quote="Bryan S":2abuea1m][quote="Larry Wolfe":2abuea1m][quote="Bryan S":2abuea1m][quote="Larry Wolfe":2abuea1m][quote="Bryan S":2abuea1m]It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! better than store bought vinegar kraut. =D> It's done. =P~ =P~ =P~

No sauerkraut is made with vinegar (at least it shouldn't be). It should be made with just salt and cabbage.[/quote:2abuea1m]
When i grow up i hope i'm as smart as you. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)[/quote:2abuea1m]

You are the one that said the vinegary store bought sauerkraut!![/quote:2abuea1m]
Because that's what it tastes like compared to homemade kraut. :!:
Apples and Oranges, Night and Day..........................................................................................[/quote:2abuea1m]
chop, salt mash, mash, mash, mash wait ten weeks? :taunt:[/quote:2abuea1m]And enjoy the best kraut your Redneck ass ever ate. :happyd:[/quote:2abuea1m]

WRONG!!!! I had a German girlfriend one time! She was a Kraut! 8-[

Susan Z said:
Yes, the label will say it---sometimes in really, really small print SOMEWHERE on the label. Something like:

Tenderness and moistness enhanced by 10% of a solution of water, salt, sodium phosphate and natural lemon juice concentrate."

or

Deep BastedTM by addition of up to 7% of a solution of water, sodium phosphates

or

"Moistness enhanced with up to an 8% solution*"

or

"Contains up to 7% of a solution to enhance juiciness and tenderness of water, salt, modified food starch, sodium phosphates and natural flavors."

Another brand of frozen bone-in turkey breasts reads:

"Injected with up to 15% of a solution to enhance juiciness. Solution ingredients: turkey broth, salt, sugar, sodium phosphates, flavoring"

Watch for words like "basted", "enhanced", "injected", and "marinated". Look for fancy packages with recognizable brand names that use phrases like "always tender", "moist and juicy", "tender and juicy", "guaranteed tender", and "extra tender".

I read the second one as: Deep Bastardized. Had to read it twice.

Back
Top Bottom