Duck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Green Hornet

Head Chef
While we were at BJ's my wife saw this and said I should try to smoke it. I used an adjustable rack over the duck and placed it over a tin pan. It was a good idea, but it colapsed when I put the bird on. :roll: I wound up using it flat. I used a little of my garlic rub on it and basted it at the end of the cook with soy, red wine, white pepper, garlic, cinnomon, sesame oil and some brown sugar. It turned out good. I cooked it around 300* to 180* internal. About 3 hours. Nice change of pace. If you like dark meat chicken you will love this.

That looks great GH! I really wanna try making Peking Duck one day, but might have to try the smoked duck first!!

Since we are talking duck, and it's almost duck season here. By the way yours looked fabulous!!!

Here is an old cook that I can't wait to try again. My gun nut buddy is about to reduce the population as much as he can and I get the run off from his freezer

Bacon wrapped duck breast cooked to 145, Yes 145. It's lean and food legal for wild duck breast.

[/URL

Smokey_Joe said:
[quote="Green Hornet":7aa89rog]Yup, big ol double barrel smoker. Used a log of Australian Pine and smaller branches and bark of some white oak to bring up the heat as needed.

?[/quote:7aa89rog]
Not a true pine. No sap, it is an invasive species. It is actually a hard wood and the needles are segmented and considered leaves. I get loads of it from the tree trimmers.

Green Hornet said:
[quote="Smokey_Joe":1rcdoxnp][quote="Green Hornet":1rcdoxnp]Yup, big ol double barrel smoker. Used a log of Australian Pine and smaller branches and bark of some white oak to bring up the heat as needed.

?[/quote:1rcdoxnp]
Not a true pine. No sap, it is an invasive species. It is actually a hard wood and the needles are segmented and considered leaves. I get loads of it from the tree trimmers.[/quote:1rcdoxnp]

Are those the trees that the paper-companies plant everywhere
down there in Florida, that grow outrageously fast and will even
grow in direct beach sand?

When the wind blows through the needles/leaves it whistles?...
I know the ones around me did when I lived down that way.

Never thought of cookin with em though.

They were planted along beaches and groves down here as a wind break in the 40s and 50s. Now the state is paying to remove them cuz they are not native. I have no idea if they use them for paper. The big ones are loaded on trailers and taken away. They grow straight up and the limbs do too. Really good burning wood with no flavor to it.
The other tree from Australia was the Meleluca. It is a paper tree used to dry up swamp land. Bad for BBQ though as is the Brazilian Pepper. Smells like black pepper when you cut it down. Too bad it is loaded with sap. It smells like it would be good though. Sea Grapes have the big round leaves at the beach too they are good for BBQ and the berries are tastey. Make a good jellly and wine. :P

Back
Top Bottom