Doing my first brisket. Couple questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starwalt12

Cook
Monday we are puttin on a big feed, two WSMs runnin from 5am till dinner time. Menu is a butt, half dozen racks of ribs, several fattys, ABTs, and more sides than you can shake a stick at. Will also be my first attempt at brisket. I am looking for a tried and true brisket rub? What temp do I take the brisket to? I believe I will foil it, but I don't know when to foil it or for how long. I appreciate any help here fellas!!! I also made some abts last year sometime and id swear i got the recipe here and havent been able to find it since, any ideas. Pictures of this feast will follow tuesday..

Hmm..first task to come up with a decent mop/sop. My favorite is in the recipe section called Walter Jettons small batch. That needs be kept warm. Put the meat in the smoke fat side down. Cook till reaching an internal temp of around 175-180 in the flat.. not the hump. Roll out a stout layer or two of foil and throw out a handful of rub and half a handful of brown sugar and place the brisket on that still lean side down..an one cup of the sop and button up the hatches. Cook it till it dies and gives up..195 at least and passing the soft buttery stage when you stick it with the gauge. For rub you can do home made or store bought. Wild Willys in the Smoke and Spice is my favorite but bbq judged not seem to like it. A surprising good brisket rub can come from mixing a good quality Fajita Seasoning mixed 50/50 with a good steak seasoning like Montreal..but its too big of granules so it needs a ride in the spice grinder. Whew..lol Also trim the snot out of the raw brisket. Skin it on down like a nekked baby if you want. No more than 1/4 inch fat cap and all the nasty stuff gone.

Last edited:
Here is an ABT recipe from a Forum member who has been MIA forever.

ABT's, Scotty's

Recipe By: Scott Greenia BBQ Central

Ingredients:

8 oz. cream cheese
1 cup smoked meat, finely chopped, pork, beef, chicken, turkey
1 tablespoon horseradish
1 tablespoon garlic, fresh chopped
1 tablespoon onion, fresh chopped
2 tablespoons lemon juice., fresh
1 tablespoon BBQ rub
salt & pepper, to taste

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in a ziplock bag, then snip the corner to pipe into the peppers.

So I think im gonna do something like what big wheel says with the brisket. but what about a rub? I don't wanna use something like the steak seasoning. I'm thiking something like some salt and pepper, with some garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, chile powder, cayene, tiny bit o brown sugar, maybe cumin too? I just don't know and i don't want to ruin this piece of meat, it aint cheap ya know.......

Well salt and pepper is not to be sneezed at. For a simple scratch rub for brisket I like this one as mentined earlier in the thread. Get the good hungarian paprika in the cans.

Wild Willy's Number One-derful Rub

This is our main all-purpose rub, good on ribs, brisket, chicken, and more.

• 3/4 cup paprika
  • 1/4 cup ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup salt
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 tablespoons garlic powder
  • 2 tablespoons onion powder
  • 2 teaspoons cayenne
Mix the spices thoroughly in a bowl. Store covered in a cool, dark pantry. Makes about 2 cups.

Smoke & Spice:
The Real Way to Barbecue

I am from Texas and I do enjoy texas BBQ rub on pork and ribs.
I have found that brown sugar on a brisket will not set up. It turns to mud. They being said, I tend to foil brisket and that is where the good bark ends.

Hmm...well...sounds plausible Sir. Most chunks I have heated do seem to go through a sticky stage..but dont recall many of them finishing up like that on the end game. One of the best pieces of advice I felt like was dipensed by a well heeled guru was.."Briskets are like Pinto Beans..they all taste alike on the inside. You have at best 1/4 of on inch of the outside surface to try to put some flavor into it." Now this young man was not counting injecting and brining etc. Just talking straight brisket cooked in an old fashioned method. The other best guru advice I got was from the fella who said.."It dont matter so much how you cook a brisket as it is to know what to do with after its cooked." lol. There is something to be said for both sides of the equation no doubt.

Back
Top Bottom