Different meats to BBQ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Which one? KCBS, TEXRUB, or Bullet?

I like em all. I like this one best. Why can't folks laugh and q at the same time?

I wasn't attacking you. I just thought it was funny that someone else
was getting on Larry's case just because he likes to brine his turkey's before smoking! Seems to be a contentious issue! What's funny to me is that Larry has said several times in this thread that he has no problem with the way others do it. I'm not gonna go back and read the whole thing, maybe he said things in a way that upset some, but I don't remember it that way.

Opinions are like noses.......etc.

Anyone in the middle, like me, just do one each way and make your own decision! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Re: Brining a turkey

Beachbum said:
To Mr. Larry Wolfe's comment about when smoking a turkey it must be brined. Not so. I don't know how many turkeys you've cooked, but they don't have to be brined. Especially if you're doing store bought turkeys or turkey breasts which are probably alread enhanced. I smoke cook turkey breasts frequently and don't brine them. I do inject them with creole butter first and I rub olive oil on the skin and put a pepper rub on and under the skin, but, I don't brine them.

Bob

Bob,
First of all welcome to the board. Second, just because I recommend something, doesn't mean it's the right way or the only way. But it also doesn't mean it's the wrong way either. All it means is it's my way. I'm not gonna compare with you who's cooked the most turkeys, you or me, who cares? All I'm saying is I've smoked turkeys the same exact way for a long time and I am 110% happy with the way they turn out. I suggested my method to "Cruising" who is new to BBQ'ing when he asked what other meats were good to cook low and slow. So I shared MY method and opinion with him. If you don't feel it's necessary to brine your turkeys, great!! Everyone I put on my pit will be brined though, cause that's how I like them.

Okay... I sat back and didn't say anything (make that much) and this brined / not brined thing is starting to bore me.
So... To all the people that have said that you don't have to brine turkeys to get it to come out juicy. What in the 'Sam Hill' do you think enhanced means?
I'm sure you mean that you don't have to brine an enhanced bird at home because it was done for you at the factory. Well yes, that might be true.
But using a lower sodium brine on an enhanced bird will let you introduce more flavors (besides salt) into the mix. If you like a straight saltwater brine then fine, stick with the factory blend. If you want more than salt... brine with your own blend. I don't know why beachbum says not to brine, but then he says he injects... that's just two different methods to do the same thing. Make the meat flavorfull and juicy.

I find it best not to read too deep into a reply. I don't think anybody here would ever try to steer somebody wrong. We all just offer our thoughts on things we have done in the past and how they turned out for us.

BTW, Larry has never steered me wrong! Beach Bum, I'm looking forward to your responses here and maybe a few reciepes.

Bryan S said:
Not sure if this is meant for Nick and his popcorn? He/we post all the popcorn cause we like to sit back and enjoy the show. When you see all the popcorn boxes and no comment that means he thinks it's going to get good and he's going to enjoy the show. Nothing meant at or towards you. :!:

Beachbum said:
Will y'all explain what posting the popcorn boxes mean?

Bob

Sometimes people will talk about controversial issues...foiling, brining or whatever...it has spawned some heated disucssions, so when the "HAD TO BRINE" thing was brought up again, some people thought there was gonna be some good ol back-n-forth going on. Glad to see we are MUCH bigger than that...So the popcorn is there to symbolize someone getting ready to watch a "happening" or "event"...not an attack on anyone!

That's it I'm done. I'm microwaving turkeys for now on. You can leave them in the wrapper with the giblets. Pop them in the microwave, cook on high for 3 minutes per lb. Comes out absolutely perfect, every single time. Check out my new web site WWW.NUKEDBBQ-4-U.COM. That's it, I'm outta here!

Beach Bum, first of all, yuo're welcome here. There's a lot of folks here who know a lot about bbq. As an intermediate q'er, I've heard many well though opinions.

The popcorn thing just means there's been a lot of heated discussions between opposing views. Most of us just stay out of the discussion, read the posts and try to learn from them. Sometimes we eat popcorn during the show, so that's why the emoticon is there. It doesn't mean anything against you.

Now, not wanting in any way to perpetuate this thread, let me say this.
I do not believe that anyone out there can smoke a turkey that is more moist than a brined turkey. Brining will not lead to a more dry turkey than just a plain smoked one in a head to head test (same smoker, temps, etc.)

That statement in no way implies that smoked turkeys are dry. Again,
anyone who is in the middle about whether to brine a turkey before smoking to ensure juiciness, test it yourself. You've heard from both sides.

Nope, cook on a WSM.
Usually having Guinness and Scotch (not mixed, but during the same cook), or Bourbon.

I'm getting in my car and heading north to kick Nick's ass in a minute. I'll take care of the rest of you that are north of me as I go. When I'm through with Nick I'm head higher into NY with I light bulb. Somebody up there has been leaving theirs on for me and it must need replacing by now.
:-X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom