DIABETIC RUB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ

Master Chef
Been working on this for a while since Val is diabetic.

DIABETIC RUB

3 tablespoons paprika

1 tablespoon ground black pepper

2 teaspoons chili powder ( The good stuff, No dollar store debris )

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon celery seed, bruised

1/2 teaspoon cayenne

1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic

1/4 teaspoon mustard powder

Mix all ingredients and store in a tightly covered container.

MAKES ABOUT 1/3 CUP

Ahhh, the truth is out. She didn't really like the Splenda version of Wolfe Rub. #-o

Seems abit lite on the salt, especially if it's kosher. Is that because of the diabetic or blood pressure concerns?
DATsBBQ

DATsBBQ said:
Seems abit lite on the salt, especially if it's kosher. Is that because of the diabetic or blood pressure concerns?
DATsBBQ
Might sound odd, But I think too much salt in a rub on ribs makes them sweat too much. ?

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
DATsBBQ said:
DATsBBQ
Might sound odd, But I think too much salt in a rub on ribs makes them sweat too much. ?

The sweating is when Osmosis begins. You need enough salt in your rub to cause this to happen, you also need sugar that also contributes to the osmosis process. Other than that a rub can have whatever else you want in it.

Splenda's organic strucure is the mirror image of sugar. So wouldn't Splenda act more like salt than sugar causing a sweating reaction too?

Kloset BBQR said:
Splenda's organic strucure is the mirror image of sugar. So wouldn't Splenda act more like salt than sugar causing a sweating reaction too?

You lost me on that one Dallas.

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Pigs On The Wing BBQ":399fubb1]
DATsBBQ said:
DATsBBQ

The sweating is when Osmosis begins. You need enough salt in your rub to cause this to happen, you also need sugar that also contributes to the osmosis process. Other than that a rub can have whatever else you want in it.[/quote:399fubb1]
:-# :grin:

I agree with you Larry that you need both Salt and Sugar for an osmotic reaction to take place but since the molecular strcture of Splenda is the mirror image or opposite of Sugar wouldn't it's polarity be opposite of that of sugar, in other words act more like Salt?

Larry did you ever imagine having a discussion on the molecular sructure of Splenda and its impact on the osmosis process when you got up this morning? :grin:

wittdog said:
Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Pigs On The Wing BBQ":293vjzxs]
DATsBBQ said:
DATsBBQ

The sweating is when Osmosis begins. You need enough salt in your rub to cause this to happen, you also need sugar that also contributes to the osmosis process. Other than that a rub can have whatever else you want in it.
:-# :grin:[/quote:293vjzxs]

What are you laughing at? Spit it out!

Kloset BBQR said:
I agree with you Larry that you need both Salt and Sugar for an osmotic reaction to take place but since the molecular strcture of Splenda is the mirror image or opposite of Sugar wouldn't it's polarity be opposite of that of sugar, in other words act more like Salt?

Larry did you ever imagine having a discussion on the molecular sructure of Splenda and its impact on the osmosis process when you got up this morning? :grin:

No, but this is very interesting. So does this mean, Osmosis will not happen using Splenda as a sugar substitute?

Hey Larry that was my question!

Seriously I don't know the answer but I agree it does make for some interesting conversation and theorizing. Hey do you know if anyone has come up with the Splenda or mirror image version for Salt? Now that might work!

I think a science experment might just be in order!

Kloset BBQR said:
Hey Larry that was my question!

Seriously I don't know the answer but I agree it does make for some interesting conversation and theorizing. Hey do you know if anyone has come up with the Splenda or mirror image version for Salt? Now that might work!

I think a science experment might just be in order!

LOL!!! This is indeed very interesting and makes alot of sense, but then again is very confusing! You might be onto something with creating a mirror image of salt. =D>

Nope, haven't ried it. I was just doing a google search and happen to find it and it appears it is sold nation wide so it must be OK.

I have used a salt substitue in the past, not in a rub but just on food. It tastes some what like salt but not the real deal. I quit using it and went back to salt and just try and use less now. BP isn't what it shoud be.

Back
Top Bottom