Curing and smoking a 19lb fresh ham

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hipchef

Assistant Cook
Hi All, I'm new to this site and wondered if any one cures and smokes their own Hams. We processed one of our pigs yesterday and I put one of the hams in a brown sugar cure this morning. Do any of you have any pointers for curing and smoking a fresh ham ???????? Thanks in advance...................Bill

img_248667_0_55cdec8f9e6742b560ea19c4572a1ead.jpg

this will be a fun thread. It might be better to post it in the Sausage Factory,
where Witt deals out the info on smoking fresh meats, making jerky and sausage
and such. He's been busy, but he'll be along shortly.

In the meantime, keep posting pics.

Hey Hip welcome Sir. Yep Witt be your man on this deal. Fine looking hawg you got there. I think its a bit more involved than rubbing it down and leaving it alone. Hope yall got that fine critter chilled down purty quick. Hawg killing is usually a winter activity..lol. Nearly know a person got to get some cure down along the bone..or you might wind up with a sour bone. Its like like the sour toe co*cktail like Griff enjoys. Sorta. Hopefully Witt will be here soon.

What did the instructions on the cure say?
What are you planning on smoking the ham in?

I remove the skin and trim the fat down to about a 1/4 inch.
I mix my own cure and the pump the Hams with it and then let them sit in the brine for about a week.
The night before you smoke the hams soak the ham bags in vinegar you can add a small amount of liquid smoke so your ham doesn't have lines from the bag. The vinegar makes it easy to take the bag off after the ham is cooked and cooled.

The smoking process takes about 36hrs.
12 hrs at 125*(no smoke just heat) then another 8 with smoke at 145* and finally the rest of the time at 165* (no smoke just heat) till the hams reach an internal temp of 152-155*.

The long cooking time and low temps allow for a fully cooked product with all the fat still in the meat.
The hams are best after a couple of days in the fridge. If you try a piece right away it tends to taste a little funky.

Sent from my intergalactic communicator using Tapatalk

I like to start my hams in the smokehouse at 7pm Friday night. That gives me all day sat to smoke them and bump the temps up. They then finish up around noon Sunday.
Any questions ask away.

Thanks for the kind welcome. I bought some Brown Sugar cure from a local processor. THis is the cure mix they use for curing their Hams, Bacon and so on. The cure mix is a 1 cup of mix to 1 gal of water, I stuck the Ham many times with a long filet knife so it will help peneterate the bone and center. This is a picture of some dbl cut pork chops I cut off the loin................Bill

img_248720_0_b29e376a48eeb8fdcdc86b55ce7881a3.jpg

I called the place I bought the Brown Sugar Cure mix, they gave me the wrong info on the cure mix, it's 1# per Gal of water. I knew the one cup didn't sound right, good thing I called them. Is there a faster way of cooking and smoking the Ham, or is low and slow the full proof method you have figured out..........Thanks for all the info and help..............Bill

img_248727_0_60a9dc501229deb02f51672daa235f93.jpg

img_248727_1_fb0e68d859f8ea5bf163c6b4447cd730.jpg

I've done the fresh curfed ham low and slow. If you go with a higher temp you'll render the fat out during the cooking process. You could McGyver a smokehouse out of a hot plate and some type of container.

wittdog said:
I've done the fresh curfed ham low and slow. If you go with a higher temp you'll render the fat out during the cooking process. You could McGyver a smokehouse out of a hot plate and some type of container.

HI WD, good reasoning, I will try out you method next week when the curing is done. I have some Apple and Cherry wood on hand, what would preferred choice of wood..................Bll

I use saw dust it smolderes well. I like hickory with a touch of cherry. With the wood you have available I would go mostly apple and some cherry to finish. To much cherry will make the meat dark. The apple wood might be to mellow for such a large cut of meat.

Yes Nick..if a person cooks a brisket with Cheery wood it will turn it so black..you can make a white mark on it with a piece of charcoal. You purty danged smart for a feller from North of the Mighty Red. Color me..impressed.

bigwheel said:
Yes Nick..if a person cooks a brisket with Cheery wood it will turn it so black..you can make a white mark on it with a piece of charcoal. You purty danged smart for a feller from North of the Mighty Red. Color me..impressed.

I heard tale of it from a purty smart feller from Texas!

I had to try out my new smoker today before I smoke a 19 lb ham next week. The Pork belly came out a gold color. I smoked the belly with Hickory and finished with Apple wood........

img_248920_0_4fb17e78beb1babbcb8a3470eda95499.jpg

I smoked the Pork Belly to 135 degrees low and slow. This is the pork belly sliced into bacon. I had to have a BLT after all that waiting. The bacon was not to salty with a nice smokey flavor and good taste................

img_248940_0_343c61fad459500ed375c3fd6795c376.jpg

img_248940_1_294d061a44b5a5bcc4ec8d6582d16e64.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom