Cowboy, Royal Oak or Kingsford Charwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hate to bring up such an old thread but I've been trying to locate some RO lump here in NC. Our local Wally World only sells Kingsford stuff. I bought a bag of Cowboy lump at Lowes this week and tried it yesterday. It's AWEFUL!!!! The burn time was extremely short IMO. Any of the local Carolina guys know of any of the chains that stock RO? I tried purchasing some online and when I went to checkout they wanted OVER $10 PER BAG for shipping. NO THANKS!!!

brian j said:
PantherTailgater said:
Hate to bring up such an old thread but I've been trying to locate some RO lump here in NC. Our local Wally World only sells Kingsford stuff. I bought a bag of Cowboy lump at Lowes this week and tried it yesterday. It's AWEFUL!!!! The burn time was extremely short IMO. Any of the local Carolina guys know of any of the chains that stock RO? I tried purchasing some online and when I went to checkout they wanted OVER $10 PER BAG for shipping. NO THANKS!!!
believe it or not try contacting a roofing supply business. that is where i buy my royal oak from.

No kidding? :D

That's wierd!

Yep, Brian referred me to a local roofing supply center and they have 20lb bags for $9 and some change.

PantherTailgater said:

Are you anywhere close to Winston-Salem? Chef Smart, on Stratford Road, sells Nature-Glo (made by Royal Oak, supposedly their restaurant supply brand) for $8 and change per 20 pound bag; also Nature-Glo briquettes. They have it year-round.

Larry D. said:
PantherTailgater said:

Are you anywhere close to Winston-Salem? Chef Smart, on Stratford Road, sells Nature-Glo (made by Royal Oak, supposedly their restaurant supply brand) for $8 and change per 20 pound bag; also Nature-Glo briquettes. They have it year-round.

Larry, I live in Mooresville. Little bit of a trek to W-S but I'll keep that in mind. Sometimes I have to go that direction for some jobs. I'm assuming Chef Smart is a restuarant supply company?

Royal Oak is barely on the good side of mediocre. Cowboy barely on the bad. Kingsford charwood a little less good than Cowboy.

The big demerits I'd give Cowboy are for ash production, a very notchy heat profile and short burn time. I've used quite a bit of Cowboy and never had problems with anything too weird in the bag. It's a very mild charcoal which smells fine and imparts little to no flavor.

Royal Oak is consistently decent across the performance paramaters. Also very mild, not much flavor.

Kingsford Charwood isn't very good in any way.

Most of choosing charcoal depends on what's available at a reasonable price within a reasonable distance. Currently I'm using pretty much the full range of Lazzari residential and restaurant products for my girll. Of these, I like both flavors of the residential lump charcoal -- mesquite and oak. And was very impressed with the Chef's Delight briquettes. Speaking of restaurant... check with the better steakhouses and churrascarias (if there are any) in your area to find out from whom they buy. If you're in SoCal, check out www.calchar.com

The only charcoals I've used that I would actually pay to have shipped are Billybones and Humphreys. I've never tried Basque.

BBQsGalore charcoal has been made by many people over the years -- including Royal Oak and Cowboy. I'm not sure who's making it now, but if Bill says Royal Oak -- that's better than Cowboy.

River City Smokehouse said:
I don't like the Cowboy brand lump. I like the FireKing or Royal Oak brands. They are made here locally. I can get the Fireking brand for $10 for 40 lbs. That is what I like.
Fireking? You have a link for that River dude? Never heard of it.

smokemaster said:
I'm back in the states for a short while and need advise on lump. I already checked nakedwhiz.com . I'd like to hear from you.

I'm leaning towards Kingsford Charwood. But need to check which Royal Oak wallyworld is selling.

I use regular Kingsford Charcoal briquets , Its never let me down yet. Of course having chimmney starters helps alot, LOL!!!

PantherTailgater said:
Larry D. said:
PantherTailgater said:

Larry, I live in Mooresville. Little bit of a trek to W-S but I'll keep that in mind. Sometimes I have to go that direction for some jobs. I'm assuming Chef Smart is a restuarant supply company?

They are a restaurant supply house, but they sell to the public. http://www.ifhchefsmart.com/

They are owned by the same parent company as Lowe's Foods.

Back
Top Bottom