Costco vs. Sams Club Meats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kloset BBQR

Executive Chef
Could anyone tell me whether one is better than the other. I noticed on Costco's website that they sell prime meats. Do they carry prime in their stores or only on their website. How about certified angus beef and whole packer briskets. Are they available at Costco or do they offer just flats.

I already have a Sams Club membership and the Costco is about 20 miles away from where we live but would consider joining if Costco offered better meats than Sams.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

I've seen flats, but have never asked about the whole
thing. There's a few more briskets available now
than 5 years ago...due to the growth in the bbq
world....but still rare.

Remind me to tell you sometime about reading
about briskets and going to get one to try for
the first time. There it was, a corned beef brisket,
so I took it home and smoked it! Couldn't figure out
what was so great about it, tasted like pastrami to me!!! :LOL:

Eventually, I figured it out.

I have memberships for both. I buy my spares at Sam's because they come trimmed with the brisket bone off. I buy baby backs from either one depending on price and they're usually pretty close. Pork butts from Sam's, they sell bone-in, Costco debones their butts. Brisket from Sam's, they only sell flats, but they are usually in cryovac, 7-9lb range, with a good fat cap, and usually very flexible. Costco sells only repackaged flats that have been closely trimmed. Chicken from Costco, just like the packaging they carry and the appearance of their chicken better than Sam's.

As far as any other beef or pork products, IMHO, it's a toss up. I think both have great looking meat counters and have NEVER had a bad piece of meat from either store.

I wish I could say the same about other pieces of meat I've had. :LOL: :LOL:

Well I been a member of both in the past and currently not a member of either. Sam's got the best meat counter by far. Costco is better for hard goods. Foil...tables...trash bags..stuff like that. Least the ones down here.

bighweel

Costco has Flats But if you order a case LOL they will get you Packers
I like the qualitie at Costco The case price on Spares is killer

As far as the normal BBQ meats, I don't think I can add much to the already very thorough and accurate responses.

That said, when it comes to grilling or roasting type meats, i.e. fillet mignon, ribeye, standing rib roast, tritip, etc I do prefer Costco. It just "looks" a little better to me, and before Costco's price increase Costco was quite a bit cheaper. I don't know who's cheaper now.

Back
Top Bottom