Cooking Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jack W.

Sous Chef
Ribs seem to be a hot topic right now. I haven't looked through the archives to see if this subject has been beaten to death so, I'll pose the big question:

How did you cook the best rack of ribs you have ever cooked? =P~

Inquiring minds and all...

Good Q!

Jack

Baby backs, modified 3-2-1 method on my WSM. Gave myself a ten on two different occasions. Used apple/ hickory once and apple/cherry once.
Both times used a hommade, very simple rub.

Boil, change the water, coat in mayo & liquid smoke, and return to a rapid boil in fresh water. Finish with blow torch til black. Don't forget the french fries. McDonalds is best. You should be able to find those anywhere.
MmmmmmMMMM !
:( :-& :taunt:

Sorry. Some one had to. .... okay ... no they didn't.

I use spares, remove the membrane, trim and rub the night before. Cook on the WSM using hickory and the 4-1-1 method. Dome temp 240-250 for 4 hours, foil and sprinkle with light brown sugar place back on the cooker for 45 minute to an hour, unfoil and cook until they firm up a bit, about another hour. No sauce during the cook, serve it on the side.

Salt, Pepper, Garlic powder. 6-7 hours @ 200-220 degrees. Glaze with 50-50 red sauce and Texas Pepper Jelly pineapple habanero.

Alright, Alright...

Vigorously rub loin backs ... (sans membrane) off as soon after you've lit the chimney. Target temp for me is high....265. 3.5 hours. Cut temp to 250 , foil and return to pit for 45 mins max. Cut the temp down to 225 and sauce with a high sugar sauce and return to pit for 1 hour.

I always do loin back but the other day i attempted to smoke my first rack of spare ribs

I loved them, i think i will do them more often. They were a little charred as you can see in the pic but that was the sauce which rubbed off with little effort.

I do baby backs. I use the 3-2-1 method in the smoker. I usually put my home made apple rub on them the night before. They turn out wonderful! My wife who says she does not like pork ate a whole rack of ribs!! :eek: :eek:

St. Louis cut spares, pull membranes, a little mustard slather, homemade doctored Dinosaur BBQ rub, smoked at 235* with a combo of maple and applewood. Spritz with apple juice once in a while towards the end. Sometimes I sauce them, sometimes not. Once I made a maple and habanero BBQ sauce for them, they came out really nice, but it wasn't for people with tender
tongues....

txpgapro said:
Let's hear about that apple rub. I love to use applewood whenever I can find someones tree to steal. :-#

While I can't tell you what's in my apple rub (Top Secret stuff!!) :D
I can tell you how to add apple flavor to any rub. All you do is go to the supermarket and buy some of the apple cider drink mix packets, the ones you add water to. Then add as much to your rub as you like! Good stuff and it is easy to do!
:horse:

While I can't tell you what's in my apple rub (Top Secret stuff!!) :D
I can tell you how to add apple flavor to any rub. All you do is go to the supermarket and buy some of the apple cider drink mix packets, the ones you add water to. Then add as much to your rub as you like! Good stuff and it is easy to do!
:horse:[/quote]

Apple cider drink mix? somebody actually makes something like that? Never seen it, maybe 'cause you can always get the real thing around here.....

Rob

I've not only seen it, I've got some. Great idea. Think I'll add one to my TexasRub this weekend when I smoke a turkey.

TexLaw said:
... I much prefer spares to loin backs. Spares are cheaper, meatier, and have more flavor. They just take a little longer to cook...

I'm coming around to that way of thinking as well. I like to trim them up kansas city style and skewer the skirt meat, but st louis is ok with me too. My Costco sells back ribs but they certainly aren't BBs. They are freakin huge. I like them too.

Been trying to figure a way to hang whole racks of side ribs from an elevated top grate .... I'm just worried the rack might tear and fall into my WSM water pan. But I might do it for like 4 - 5 hours, then foodsaver and freeze. Thaw at a later date then do the hour in foil in th oven and grill to finish.

I really like ddogs apple cider pouch as a rub component. Great idea man, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom