Cooking Chicken On A Grill Instead of Smoker in KCBS Comps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kloset BBQR

Executive Chef
Does anyone know if it is legal to grill your chicken from start to finish in a KCBS comp. I'd like to try cooking some chicken pieces (thighs and legs) in the rotisserie basket over coals and wood chunks in order to get better color and crispier skin on the chicken. It seems logical to me that there should be no restrictions on this since I would be using wood and/or charcoal as fuel.

Yup, It's okay, Check rule #8 in your pink sheet that you got last Thursday night, Dummy :grin: BTW THANKS for the pan of pork Saturday night, It was great! =D>

I was just getting ready to post rule #8

8. Fires must be of wood, pellets, or charcoal. No electric or gas grills permitted. Propane permitted as fire starter only. Electric accessories such as spits, augers, or forced draft are permitted.

You're assuming I can read Pigs. Had a great time at the Oink! You and Val were great hosts. Looking forward to next year. I want to be the guy to knock Donny off his throne! :D

Kloset BBQR said:
You're assuming I can read Pigs. Had a great time at the Oink! You and Val were great hosts. Looking forward to next year. I want to be the guy to knock Donny off his throne! :D
No kidding! We will compete in the (pro) category next year also. Joker is going to run the show on Sunday. :!: :grin: Just because it was such a joke. :eek:

I agree! Sorry to hear about all the confusion on Sunday. Hope it didn't cost you, probably did. Your entries looked great. Should have placed much higher than they did. Tell Val to register here and post once in a while too!

Kloset BBQR said:
I agree! Sorry to hear about all the confusion on Sunday. Hope it didn't cost you, probably did. Your entries looked great. Should have placed much higher than they did. Tell Val to register here and post once in a while too!
Ya know, I should. NO Blue Room for her though. Now to keep this on topic so fearless leader doesn't flip out, I have smoked chicken to about 100F and taken them to 170F on the grill to finish. To me that's the best way to do them.

Have you tried using a rotisserie basket? I've got a rotisserie basket for our Weber gas grill. I'll have to check and see if it is compatable with the
charcoal rotisserie.

And yeah, don't let Val near that Blue Room! :)

Kloset BBQR said:
Have you tried using a rotisserie basket? I've got a rotisserie basket for our Weber gas grill. I'll have to check and see if it is compatable with the
charcoal rotisserie.

And yeah, don't let Val near that Blue Room! :)
Never used a basket, I almost think if you packed the chicken in too tight you might lose meat juices, Too loose you might end up with chicken salad. Interesting concept though.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
BTW THANKS for the pan of pork Saturday night, It was great! =D>
Yeah, thanks! I took home about 1/4th that pan ~ Good stuff!! =P~

The Joker said:
Uncle Bubba? I didn't know he was there... :eek: :grin: :grin:

I was stealth...295lbs of stealth.

Thanks for the compliments on the pork. Glad you enjoyed it and someone actually got to eat it other than the rats. It's a shame the amount of food that gets tossed at these contests.

Back
Top Bottom