Cookin Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BchrisL

Senior Cook
I got a rack of spares in the egg. I did absolutly nothing to them except take them out of the freezer and put them in the egg, frozen. :twisted: I want to see what they tast like without all the other things I usually do to them.

PS:Andy came by with a bag of lump to pay me back for the lump to pay me back. He had a couple of butts and was on the way home to fire up the Hondo to cook them for a big whoop-de-doo they have planned for tomorrow. He told me his dad was cooking a beercan turkey as well today. He said he would bring by a bag of Q for me to sample tomorrow. ;)

I was outside with the pruning shears and the wood chipper and the leaf blower doing those things that I had been commanded to do, by She, who must be obeyed. ;)

I just blasted the egg with the weed burner to get the lump going and threw on the ribs. I have to admit I did break down and basted them with Bone Suckin Sauce after about 6 hours. The egg was running slow, about 250-275 because I was busy out in the yard.
Never again will I not remove the membrane from the back. Aesthetically it was just not pleasing, even though it did seem to keep the ribs moist buy keeping the fat from dripping off, other than that they were fall apart good. .

The rest of the meal:
I grilled bell peppers, squash, onions, mushrooms, an ancho and a jalapeno on the gasser, and we served them with rice. I first coated them with a thin layer of olive oil and sprinkled some taco seasoning on them. After they were browned on both sides placed them on my warming griddle to await serving. The trick was to slice a little jalapeno with each bite for just the right amount of heat. SO GOOD!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Andy called last night, about 10 PM. He had but the butts on the offset cooker at 4PM and was only up to 140 at 10. I told him to just keep the fire going and be patient.

I spoke with him this morning. They had gotten to 160 after 11 hours (3am) and he pulled them off and finished them in the oven. One again, Q is not something that can be hurried and it will take its own sweet time to cook. Patience!!! I am going to get a sample this afternoon.
:)

img_153552_0_f5544a45cbae7b6b37e062555dea5e35.jpg

The cook results came over this afternoon, just in time for supper. I was very proud. Andy's Q was really good. It was moist and tender. The bark had a good flavor. He told me that it dissapeared at the gathering really fast. He is now asking about doing a brisket and maybe some venison.

I suggested that next time he start cooking early in the morning so that he won't have to stay up all night long.

I think I am going to get him one of those thermometers that read the cooker temp on the grate as well as the meat temp. I suspect the Hondo is leaking air so much that the temps he is seeing at the top are a lot warmer than the ones down where the meat is so the process is running slower than we think, not a bad thing except when one is trying to cook to a deadline.

Okey dokey here we go.

John, I do indeed thing he is hooked on cooking Q! :LOL: ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom