Complete Newbie With Some Questions - BBQ Central

Go Back   BBQ Central > General > General Barbecue
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
BBQ NOOB

Complete Newbie With Some Questions

I have a Foreman Grill and I just started learning the ropes. I've figured out marinading (I get the pre-packaged McCormicks Marinade, throw it in a plastic bag for about 12 hours then grill). Are there any tips you folks could give me? I know nothing about proper grilling (not to mention that the Foreman grill is hardly the "proper" grill). Thanks!

arizero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:38 PM   #2
Max
Wizard of Que

Big Wheel, would you like to take this brother?

Weber One-Touch Silver 22-1/2"
Weber Jumbo Joe 18"
Weber Smokey Joe Gold 14"
Fully Functional UDS 22.5" Dual Layer
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:19 AM   #3

I am waiting to read this.

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would do them harm."
George Orwell
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:29 AM   #4

Welcome arizero! This is a great forum with very knowledgeable posters. My first bit of advice would be to spend some time just browsing the forums. We really like pictures of the preparation and cooking along with the final plate pictures so there is a lot to see here. Most threads do include pictures, questions about recipes and techniques are always welcome. Hopefully this will inspire you to make the jump to cooking over fire!
dledmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dledmo View Post
Welcome arizero! This is a great forum with very knowledgeable posters. My first bit of advice would be to spend some time just browsing the forums. We really like pictures of the preparation and cooking along with the final plate pictures so there is a lot to see here. Most threads do include pictures, questions about recipes and techniques are always welcome. Hopefully this will inspire you to make the jump to cooking over fire!
Exactly what I was going to say ---- WELCOME!
KCBS Certified Judge #53267
bbquzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #6
Graduate of BBQ Central

Here are a couple recipes...

Check out this mouth-watering recipe you can make on your George Foreman grill! | Facebook

Enjoy this delicious recipe on your George Foreman grill tonight! | Facebook
oompappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:15 AM   #7
BBQ NOOB

Thanks for the welcome everyone! I'm going to do some grilling this weekend and I'll make sure to get some pictures up. Here's my first question: should I be marinading with vinegar? I've read that it tenderizes the meat but I've also read that it takes away from the flavor. Thanks!
Old 11-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #8
Official BBQ Central Mark

Hey welcome. I have a clone version of George's indoor grill...paninni maker. Makes great Reubens..grilled cheese sandwiches etc. flop it down and cook a huge breakfast on it to name but a few things. Have even done a few steakes on it in bad weather and it worked ok. For a chicken marinade eyetalian dressing is purty hard to beat. Kraft 7 Seas Viva Eyetalian is my favorite. Have used McCormick a few time but was not swept off my feet about how good it was. Vinegar or least some time of acidic liquid is a component in about all marinades as far as I know. Would say it adds quite a bit of flavor if done right..not overdone. I like 12 hrs for splits or whole birds..few hours works for parts. Best tool I have found for grilling is an instant read temp gauge. I try to get chicken pieces to 160 with steaks and pork chops going to 150. I swore off charcoal several years back and normally use the gas grill for most grilling chores. Dont be no stranger. Great sounding recipes Pappy.
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #9

Can't agree with BW on giving up charcoal, but agree whole wholeheartedly about the Italian dressing, put whatever chicken pieces in a shallow dish pour on the dressing, cover and into the fridge. Great tasting and very simple!
KCBS Certified Judge #53267
bbquzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #10
Max
Wizard of Que

If you are using straight up vinegar, I would only use about 2 tablespoons or less. Also vinegar is used mostly in fast marinades, for only 30 minutes and not over an hour.

What the vinegar does, is it is there to break down the muscle tissue, in essence make it tender, but with vinegar if you let it go too long it will turn your meat to mush. If you are planing a long marinade time dont use vinegar, switch it over to 2 tablespoons of conla, or some vegetable oil.
Weber One-Touch Silver 22-1/2"
Weber Jumbo Joe 18"
Weber Smokey Joe Gold 14"
Fully Functional UDS 22.5" Dual Layer
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #11

Now if you want real mush let it simper in Lea n Perrins wooster sauce for a bit. That got to be the most flavorful and destructive substance on earth. Try this sometime.

1 jug Kraft Vive Eyetalian 7 Seas
1/2 cup Kikkomann Soy Sauce
1/4 cup Lea n Perrins
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons of your most favorite chicken rub which do not contain any form of meat tenderizer. (That junk eat up bird flesh nearly as quick as wooster)

I bag it up in trash bags. Tie a knot in the top stick in the icebox and come back later. The time in situ dont seem to effect it too much. Lot of room for error. Big thing is some of the rubs which dont show tenderizers have it anyway. If you want grand prize winning stuff for chicken get some Headcountry all purpose. If you aint a show dawg..forget that step..lol.
http://www.headcountry.com. Dont buy nothing else over there. Walmart has their sauce last I looked. Save a bunch on shipping on that deal. Get some of that for the glaze.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #12
Graduate of BBQ Central

This book has some good marinade and sauce recipes along with great tips on grilling techniques for various meat and seafood on both the electric Foreman Grill and Weber Kettle charcoal grill...

George Foreman's Knock-Out-the-Fat Barbecue and Grilling Cookbook: George Foreman, Cherie Calbom M.S. C.NN: 9780679771494: Amazon.com: Books
oompappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #13
BBQ NOOB

Thanks for the excellent advice so far! I'm following bigwheel's marinade tip right now and doing an Italian dressing marinade. I'll take it out in about 3 hours and grill it up. I'll post some pics once I'm done as well. Thanks again everyone!
Old 11-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #14

Ok well keep us posted.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #15
BBQ NOOB

Sorry it's taken a week to respond. So the chicken came out after 12 hours in the marinade and....it wasn't good. It was rather flavorless to be honest. I asked around work and a few people said that I should've put some holes in the chicken. What is the consensus on that around here? Thanks again for the help everyone!
Old 11-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #16

Well hmmm. Did you put any rub on the chicken? Salt n Peppa etc? Bird skin is is a big barrier to flavor. I always try to get some up under the skin if possible. Is not real feasible on pieces. Thats the only thing I can think of off hand. Sorry it didnt turn out good.