Competition sauce question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddog27

Sous Chef
I am still a competition virgin, but I am getting set to get started next year. Still lots of practice sessions needed!

My question is: For those of you who compete, what changes do you make in your sauce between what you use in a competition and what you would use for your personal BBQing?

Also do you change your sauce based on who the judging group is made up of?
:HAT:

Keep in mind I've only done one comp.

Winning is about serving people what they want, not what you like.
I have very odd tastes in bbq compared to most of the bbq world.
I only like a little vinegar sauce on my butts, with rub.

I competed in a contest made up of SC BBQ Association judges, and I knew they would won't a traditional SC bbq. I did pretty well for my first time (6th out of 31). I got that because one of our members here is a judge (also defending champ of that event) and told me to give the judges what they're looking for.

In this area, I assumed the would want a Carolina style.

If you're doing a KCBS event with certified judges, things may change a little...same with MIM.

If it's a non certified regional event, try to find out if the judges are locals (most likely) and gear it to regional tastes.

I do my q to my liking, but when cooking for comps or other groups,
it helps to consider your target market.

Kinda like being a dj (I am). I don't play the music I like, I play what will attract the largest audience.

ddog27 said:
I am still a competition virgin, but I am getting set to get started next year. Still lots of practice sessions needed!

My question is: For those of you who compete, what changes do you make in your sauce between what you use in a competition and what you would use for your personal BBQing?

Also do you change your sauce based on who the judging group is made up of?
:HAT:

I only use my competition sauce for personal use. Anything else is not the best, and why should I treat myself to anything but the best. I don't give competition sauce out to typical paying customers. Frankly, they can't afford it. They would probably yell at the price of the Q. Now I do have some clients that like the best stuff and will compensate me accordingly.

I used to change sauces according to region but I stopped a couple of years ago. It was too hard to call. I always seem to have a sauce in the making but we make a commitment at the beginning of the season and compete it all year. Unless we get terrible results we try to stick with what we know. When your out there competiting all kind of things happen to you. You get alot of smoke in your head, adult beverages ususally flow freely, you are sleep deprived, and if you smoke you have smoked way too much. Decisions for competion meats are made before we hit the field. We produce a finished product based on what what we know, not what's happening now. Hope this helps.

Good Q!

Jack

Back
Top Bottom