Competing with a Traeger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nakedpigbbq

Senior Cook
Is anyone out there using a Traeger grill to do KCBS comps? I have a stick burner, but I am looking for a "lighter" alternative in order to travel and compete. I was looking at maybe the new XL or two of the built ins which would give me the same space as the XL but would give me the option of two different temps for comp or just cooking at home. Does anyone have any other suggestions for a good competition unit for around $2000? I would like it to have the room to maybe do some small catering gigs, so that is why I am not wanting to buy 5 WSMs! But, since the question is open... does anyone just use WSMs at comps? Do you have one WSM for each "category"?

thanks! Also...thanks for all the prayers! I finished my last chemo treatment on thursday and can finally start working at getting back to normal!

chuck

I use 2WSMs and a small offset at comps...works fine.
Look at a Backwoods smoker...I think they are close to your price range

Congrats on the chemo completion. Sounds like you getting some good advice here. Can't speak for KCBS but know a bunch of the IBCA and LSBS folks are flocking to the BWS's. Got one airline pilot chum who got him a fancy 5th wheel trailer with a big Toy Box on the back. He carries two or three BWS's..think he got a real small one for chicken along with his electric golf cart etc. The boy travels in style and is still styling when he arrives:)

bigwheel

Somebody named "DIVA Q" competes with Tragers...I think she is the current BBQ champ of Canada or something... :D

Sorry Greg she is last years Ontario champ by winning the two contests in the series.Team Cedar Grilling has won the eastern Canadian championship the last 3 years.
To make matters even more confusing there are 2 Canadian championships,1 is given for winning the Barrie contest in Ontario and 1 is given for winning the Whistler contest in B.C.
On top of that whoever wins the competition in Calgary also wins an invite to the JACK,so there are 4 invites from Canada every year.
I hope that clarifies things.
Aaron

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom