Coldest day of the year and I am smokin.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice job Bill....how was the texture of the meat compared to the foiled butts that you are used to? Glad you liked the rub.

Okay here is the full report.

4 butts at 30+lbs for 16.5 hours.
2 with chipolte mustard:
Good flavor. I think it was more the chipolte than the mustard I can taste. The bark was darker than the one with just SS rub.

2 with Swine Syndicate rub:
Great flavor. I was impressed the way the rub held up. The bark was alot darker than the way I do mine (foiled).

I think if I am cooking for family or comps then no foil is the way to go. Catering, I will stick to foil. Time is money there.

Thanks for all the responses to this post. I will give you one funny and true story on myself. Woke up at 4 this morning in a panic. Threw on some cloths and ran outside and lifted the lid on T.O.W. I had drempt that I fell asleep while cooking the butts and forgot them. Came back inside and the wife was in a laughing fit. The dog thought I was crazy and was growling at me. Oh well, thats what I get for drinking. :oops:

cleglue said:
Great job there.

Compared to your offset you should have used much less charcoal for the 16.5 hour. How much charcoal did you use?

About 1/2 a bag. The offset uses wood. I start it with one chimney of charcoal then oak and hickory or apple for smoke. I did pitch a few pieces of apple in the WSM.

Thanks for all the comments on this thread. Kinda felt like I had company the whole cook. ;)

Back
Top Bottom