Cleaning out a spice grinder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diva Q

Executive Chef
Over the last weekend I had the time to chat with one of my Favorite teams BBQ effect from Toronto. We got to talking about grinding spices. One of my coffee grinders does not come apart. Its just one solid unit. Darrin gave me a great tip on how to clean out a coffee/spice grinder if it doesn't come apart. All you do is throw a handful of white rice in the grinder and grind away. The rice picks up everything from the blades and chamber.

Just wanted to pass that on. it works terrific.

Hey thanks for that good tip Diva. I been wondering how to make my special yuppie coffee...grinded from real beans to quit tasting like crusted up and rancid Ancho Chile peppas. Thats one of the main reasons I been just drinking pre ground Kroger brand out of a dirty cup all these years. Started out with Folgers but it got too expunsive. This might be a life changing expurience for me... the warden...and the Senor Warden (her Mama) your too kind..sniff sniff. Now I just need to go buy some rice. I used to have some but the weevils got in it I think. We dont use it often. We are not coonasses like some around here..wink wink:) I aint never seen anything paired off with rice which did not taste mo betta with cornbread. I keep all my various exotic corn meals in the freezer. Weevils dont bother nothing in there.

bigwheel

I don't own a spice grinder but I once heard that plain old white bread chunks will do the trick as well.

Bread works fine,
Don't never grind whole cloves! The oil in them attacts the plastic inside the grinder. You will never get the smell out.

Diva Q said:
Over the last weekend I had the time to chat with one of my Favorite teams BBQ effect from Toronto. We got to talking about grinding spices. One of my coffee grinders does not come apart. Its just one solid unit. Darrin gave me a great tip on how to clean out a coffee/spice grinder if it doesn't come apart. All you do is throw a handful of white rice in the grinder and grind away. The rice picks up everything from the blades and chamber.

Just wanted to pass that on. it works terrific.

DITTO! ben doing that for years! :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom