chuck roast question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I won't be much help! Yesterday I threw a three pounder on the grill indirect at 1:00, put it in a beer bath at 4:30 and it still wasn't pullable at 8:00. Ask Larry, he'll give you some inaccurate advise!

I like to take the roast to about 165 internal and then wrap in tin foil with about 2oz of apple juice and then cook to about 210-215 internal to get it to pull like a pork butt. I know this is a little high but it does work well for me.

img_228117_0_e3ffc8a6d6d7cde6325e447c5a7a4f76.jpg

Save all the juice out of the foil to use as the au jus for the meat when you serve it.

Dave

John, temps are moot with chuck. Cook it in the smoke in the 245-260 range until it has a nice bark, then foil or put in a braising liquid or liquid with vegetable and cook at 325* until you can twist it like spaghetti. It's not done until you can do that. I've heard that 3hrs per lb 'theory' by alot of people an I've cooked alot of chuck and never had one take 3hrs per lb. That would mean an 8lb roast would take 24hrs.......come on.

Give this RECIPE a shot if you like this sort of thing. It's foolproof and tasty.

Fork twist test is the way to fly. I tend to smoke at a little higher temp with a Brinkman charcoal pan used for water in the WSM. (275-300) You can always slow it down, but you can't speed it up. Darn thing's are tricky. I used Larry's recipe last time and it was fine. Tasty indeed. :D

Pigs

wittdog said:
When cooking large cuts of meat it's the diameter that makes the difference as far as longer cook times.

And smoke will penetrate an egg shell! :LOL: :mrgreen: :LOL: :mrgreen:

An oldy but goodie! ;)

well, I used the chuck for something else. Looks like Ill be trying that at deer camp this year...

Back
Top Bottom