Chuck for Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Green Hornet

Head Chef
Threw on a chuck for dinner tonight and picked up a couple Fatties. I saw Bruce's post and he was talking about sage sausage. I saw the Jimmy Dean Sage and am giving one a try, the other is the Hot. How bad could it be??? It is sausage for cripes sakes ;)

Looking good GH I hope you have better luck than I have had in the past.

I have not had a chuck come out right yet. Next time I am going to pull the probe at 195 and then rely on the fork test. [smilie=a_goodjobson.gif]

Hey Cliff I'm with you. Chuck roast is best left to be cooked in the house by wimmen folks. Warden takes it and smears it with mushroom soup in the can...Lipton soup in the box..and a shot of A1 and cooks it wrapped in foil in the oven till it dies and gives up. Dang that stuff is good and give you a little gravy to go over the mashed tates. Always comes out much superior to one I has busily tortured in the bbq pit.

bigwheel

Cliff H. said:

I have not had a chuck come out right yet. Next time I am going to pull the probe at 195 and then rely on the fork test. [smilie=a_goodjobson.gif]

Cliff H. said:

Cliff if you do that and give it a long rest, you're gonna love it!!! Chucks are stubborn but well well worth the extra effort!!

Just stuck two boneless models totaling 7 lbs in the combo electric roaster/slow cooker. Salt and peppered them good then floured them up and browned them off at high temp in mix of corn oil and butter. Set it on the slow cook setting and dumped this over the top and put the lid on it:

2 T. Minor's beef base
2 T. Granulated onyawn
2 t. Granulated garlic
2 T. Wooster sauce
1 cup black coffee
1 bay leaf
1/2 handful dried celery flakes
Water to equal two quarts

Figger to let it chuckle away till about supper time. May add some veggies somewhere along the way.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Just stuck two boneless models totaling 7 lbs in the combo electric roaster/slow cooker. Salt and peppered them good then floured them up and browned them off at high temp in mix of corn oil and butter. Set it on the slow cook setting and dumped this over the top and put the lid on it:

2 T. Minor's beef base
2 T. Granulated onyawn
2 t. Granulated garlic
2 T. Wooster sauce
1 cup black coffee
1 bay leaf
1/2 handful dried celery flakes
Water to equal two quarts

Figger to let it chuckle away till about supper time. May add some veggies somewhere along the way.

bigwheel
Hey I like the coffee idea! :P
But what's the beef base? Like a bullion cube?

Well a base is sorta like a bullion cube but much mo betta. Typically a bullion cube is mostly salt. A good base usually has salt listed but farther down in the ingredient list...so therefore whilst it do usually do add some salt to your recipe it aint as much. It comes in the form of a goop. Minor's is a good brand which comes in a wide assortment of flavors but aint commonly available in retail outlets. Its mostly peddled on the wholesale level to restaurants (you can also buy it mailorder). Sam's has Tone's brand but I dont like it. Way too salty. You can snag some stuff at the retail stores called "Better Than Bullion" which is very good. I had just about as soon have it as Minor's and price wise there aint much difference. Now they do make some no salt bases but aint bumped into one which has been worth a flip thus far.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom