Chuck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wittdogs B

Senior Cook
Well, I picked up the chuck roast yesterday (I think it's about 5 lbs). Skimmed through a bunch of the chuck threads; I will be cooking on the WSM. Looks like the temp should be about 235 (is that dome, grate, or doesn't much matter?) meat should be foiled at 160-165, and it should be pulled at 205. Usually we pull the butts at 190; this is too low for the beef?
I am planning to use lump, and will pack it in tightly as per recent posts... am I missing anything major? This is the first chuck for the Wittdogs....

thanks in advance-- I will post pics (including one before it rests)

Wittdogs B said:
Well, I picked up the chuck roast yesterday (I think it's about 5 lbs). Skimmed through a bunch of the chuck threads; I will be cooking on the WSM. Looks like the temp should be about 235 (is that dome, grate, or doesn't much matter?) meat should be foiled at 160-165, and it should be pulled at 205. Usually we pull the butts at 190; this is too low for the beef?
I am planning to use lump, and will pack it in tightly as per recent posts... am I missing anything major? This is the first chuck for the Wittdogs....

thanks in advance-- I will post pics (including one before it rests)

My therm is on the lid of my WSM. My temps ranged from 225* - 260*. I foiled my 3.5lb'r at 165* and took it off at 190*. Then I threw 'er in the cooler for about 2 hours and pulled....... =P~ I think it's time for another one

our therm is on the lid too, but I was planning to use the maverick as a backup since it will be an overnight cook (not to reopen THAT can of worms.... [-X ) Although the couple long cooks we've done on the WSM have been fine, it would be just my luck for the water to evaporate and the temp to spike at about three am.

Wittdogs B said:
our therm is on the lid too, but I was planning to use the maverick as a backup since it will be an overnight cook (not to reopen THAT can of worms.... [-X ) Although the couple long cooks we've done on the WSM have been fine, it would be just my luck for the water to evaporate and the temp to spike at about three am.

Yes, I would have the maverick hooked up and ready to go. I don't have one :-( yet but I just ordered one :D good luck with the chuck!

I did my chuck and foiled it at 160 and pulled it off at 205. Left it in the cooler to rest . It was good, I only wish I had done a bigger one.

Wittdogs B said:

Pick one spot on your cooker to measure the temperature and I'd suggest the dome. Just hang the probe through the top vent but not so far it will touch the meat. Pick a range to keep the cooking temp at, like MBF suggested. You are going to have temperature fluctuations, so it's no big deal.

I pull my pork between 190-195, but I feel the chuck needs about 10-15 more degrees of cooking so I pull around 200-205.

Good luck on your cook!!

It was a little over 4.5 lbs. Rubbed it with a little Worcestershire, garlic, onion, and coarse salt and pepper. I was going to stick some garlic in it too, but I thought I read that garlic will get bitter.

Ready to go:

Here goes nothing… [-o<

That looks good already.

Fresh or dried minced garlic will get bitter "if" burnt. You would be fine using garlic powder if you wanna open it up and give it a sprinkle.

Here it is at 9:45 (about 4 hours in). temp was at 159; smoker temp had spiked to 175-- added water and it seems ok now. (I was double checking the meat temp because the probe seemed to start out high…..).

Just now (5 hours in) foiled it and hooked up the maverick to monitor.

I did put garlic powder on, but what I had thought about doing was stuffing some fresh cloves in the way diverdave described. Oh, well, maybe next time.

The Mrs. Asked me to post the pics of her Chuck cook:

It came out real good, the bark tasted real good…..We are going to make some burritos with it later in the day along with the leftover pinto beans…..

I'm hungry already. that looks great. Did she happen to put a pan under it to catch those wonderful juices ?????

I don't think so.........and I fogot to mention it to her...This was her cook all the way..She seasoned the meat, fired up the WSM...and got up with it a 3:00 am when the temp alarm went off....

wittdog said:
This was her cook all the way..She seasoned the meat, fired up the WSM...and got up with it a 3:00 am when the temp alarm went off....

Yo dog, does she have a sister? \:D/

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom