Christmis eve prime rib...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john pen

Master Chef
Well, after reading the low and slow prime rib thread yestarday, I opted to give it a shot. What a winner. The roast was awesome..tender and juicy ! I cooked it at 230 till the roast was at 118, then pulled the water pan and the WSM went up over 400 which gave a nice crust, then pulled the roast at 120. Served it with the roasted veggie risotto (see practice cook), salad and mashed potatoes with bacon, chedder, sour cream and chives (one of the boyfriends, not mine, cant eat rice, so we had to do smashers too). Suprisingly enough, the roast only took about a half hour more at 230 then it did at 375.

John, Tell me about this creation:
17064312.jpg

I think I would like that!!!!

you guys are killing me too...however, I did get some
at a friends house Christmas night.
Wish my sister liked it, I'm dying to cook one.

Man I miss havin' prime rib for Christmas. It's been awhile :(
Your's looks Fantastic john pen :D

8)

Same thing..Ill let my wife answer..It was her gig...Here's Jean.

It's called a Stacked Sausage Torte

Ingredients:

1 cup fully cooked ham (cubed)
1 cup salami (cubed)
1 package 8 ounces brown and serve sausage links
1 pound fresh spinach (or 10 ounce package frozen spinach)
5 eggs
1 teaspoon water
2 tablespoons butter
1 red bell pepper (cut into strips)
1 package 8 ounce Mozzarella (or Swiss cheese)
1 package 17 ounce frozen puff pastry (defrosted)

Directions:

Steam or cook spinach, drain in strainer, pressing to remove excess moisture. Beat 4 eggs and 1 egg white together. Beat remaining egg yolk with water; set aside. Heat 1 tablespoon butter in an 8-inch omelet pan. When hot, pour in half the beaten eggs and cook until set, turning if needed to cook top. Remove from pan but do not fold. Repeat with remaining butter and eggs.

Open pastry sheets carefully, pinching to close any holes. Roll one sheet into a 12-inch square. Carefully lift and fit into an 8-inch spring-form pan. Trim second pastry into an 8-inch circle. Make pastry cutouts from scraps. To assemble: place one omelet on pastry in bottom of spring-form pan. Spoon drained spinach over this.

Layer half the Mozzarella cheese over spinach. Top with ham and red peppers. Add second omelet and arrange sausage links over this. Sprinkle over salami. Top with remaining cheese. Adjust circle over all, cut pastry as needed and pinch edge.

Brush pastry with beaten egg yolk and water. Arrange pastry cut-outs atop. Bake in a 375° oven for 70 to 75 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before cutting. May be served warm or cold.

If the top browns too quickly, just cover with aluminum foil. It's really important to let it sit after cooking or it makes it really difficult to cut it neatly. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom