Christmas Turkeys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

txpgapro

Sous Chef
Last night I dumped 8 - 14 pounds turkeys in cooler of 6 gallons of apple juice, to which was added, 2 gallons of cold water, 6 cups of Kosher salt, 6 cups of brown sugar, one normal size spice bottle each of thyme, sage and crushed rosemary. Set them outside for the night. Will start the pit around 6 and get them on the smoker by 8am or so. Will take pics starting with the rubbing.

About 45* right now. Weather is supposed to change for the worse tonight with a chance of snow flurries. But by the Friday it will be upper 60's and into the 70's by Christmas. Yes, golf on Christmas!

I bought the turkeys at 59 cents a pound, and each turkey averaged around 14 pounds. Going to give all of them away as gifts to my golfing buddies and inlaws. I also bought the Texas Pepper Jelly company, least it seems like it. Ordered about 70 jars, and about 10 pounds of Texas BBQ Rub. Going to repack the rub into small bags just enough for one brisket, add 5-6 jars of TPJ and a smoked turkey and you got a nice Christmas gift ready for giving.

Mike, I gotta question for you. How do you keep your turkeys from now until Sunday without freezing them? Or do you freeze them? I hate having to freeze whole birds, but sometimes I have to.

Larry,
The next couple of days the tempature should not exceed 45*. I plan on foiling the birds and keeping them in the smoker. Should be just like a big refrigerator. I will start delivering them on Wednesday, so the guys will know that they have a Christmas turkey for dinner and won't plan on cooking.

Here are the first pics of the cook. I melted some butter adding TBR to it, dipped the cheese cloth in it and wrapped the turkey. I wrapped 4 and left 4 unwrapped.

Here are the pics of the finished turkeys. The first pic is of a turkey that was not wrapped in cheese cloth, and it was nice and crisp. Those turkeys that were wrapped in buttered cheese cloth are a beautiful golden brown. I think it was worth the trouble. Wish I wasn't given all of them away.

Back
Top Bottom