Christmas Prime Rib

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodman1

Executive Chef
I just got back from Barb and Patties (my butcher) and ordered a 12-15 lb boned prime rib for Christmas at $11.50/lb! Also ordered 3 tri-tips for yuks! I asked my man Mike there if they could get me dry aged. He said they do it themselves, but said it won't improve a good prime rib dramatically. It takes 6 Weeks! I know it really increases the price. Anybody think it's worth a try?

Woody

I've tried dry aged rib steaks, figure they had to come from an aged rib roast, and they were good. The flavor was different but I'm not sure if it was better. I'd recommend buying a couple dry aged steaks before splurging on a whole roast to see if you like that flavor. My wife, for one, doesn't care for it. Of course, taste is a real personal thing but I only care for dry aged beef on the odd occasion.

Oh yeah, Nick is right. If you're Russian Orthodox you still have time to get one for Christmas.

Griff

Hey Woodman, I can't remember if you were still at Bills place 2:00am but did you get any of that standing rib roast on Saturday night right out of Carni's pit at Q-Fest or did you taste it at breakfast? After tasting the roast Bill cooked I would rather get a Choice SRR than a prime rib for the money. I can't beleive it could get better than that.

zilla said:
Hey Woodman, I can't remember if you were still at Bills place 2:00am but did you get any of that standing rib roast on Saturday night right out of Carni's pit at Q-Fest or did you taste it at breakfast? After tasting the roast Bill cooked I would rather get a Choice SRR than a prime rib for the money. I can't beleive it could get better than that.
I thought that was just a boned prime rib?

Real, aged, prime rib is expensive... bout $25-$30 a pound depending on butcher... there is nothing like in the world of meat tastes.. try it once ,and you'll hope you win the lottery so it can be afforded on a daily basis at your house... try and dry age it when you get it home ,in your fridge , if you have at least 3 days... it will "up" the taste of the meat..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom