Christmas Dinner Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wittdog said:
Unity said:
It depends on where we are and what they're having. We haven't had Christmas at home since sometime in the 1970s.

--John 8)
(This year will be at our son's in Salinas CA. I haven't asked what we'll be eating.)
CA....you might need my tofu recipe :LOL:

Yeah right, Wittdog eating tofu! I damn nearly fell out of my chair laughing at that!

Nick Prochilo said:
wittdog said:
Unity said:
It depends on where we are and what they're having. We haven't had Christmas at home since sometime in the 1970s.

--John 8)
(This year will be at our son's in Salinas CA. I haven't asked what we'll be eating.)

Yeah right, Wittdog eating tofu! I damn nearly fell out of my chair laughing at that!

Korean or Kabob bbq tofu? Is it any good? Does BBQ magically make tofu edible or is there a threhold of beer, smoke and bbq sauce involved?

Can someone be kicked out being a KCBS judge for bbqing tofu if it can be proved to not be promoting "..excellence in barbecue and the American way of life may be strengthened and preserved forever...." yada yada..??????

I'd hate to lose my investment in that if someone would rat me out that my bbq sucked so bad that I'm basically un-American and all that.

After all this prime rib talk I went to Albertsons and picked up a rib roast. Do you guys have any tips for a first time prime rib cooker?

ddog27 said:
After all this prime rib talk I went to Albertsons and picked up a rib roast. Do you guys have any tips for a first time prime rib cooker?

Season with kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper and garlic. Cook in an oven or indirect on a grill at 250-275 until you get to 125* internal temp, then finish over direct heat searing all sides until you get an internal temp of 130-135*, tent with foil and let rest before carving. Cook indirect longer if you prefer medium.

Unity said:
wittdog said:
Unity said:

--John 8)
Hmm, maybe I could talk them into letting me grill a Santa Maria tri-tip. :D

--John 8)
Okay. This morning for breakfast I had Kashi GoLean Crunch cereal with soy milk. :shock:

--John 8)

We decided on smoking a duck for xmas dinner. On Fri. we are going to the Italian Market along 9th st in South Phila to buy one. Thats the place with the burning 55 gal drums in the street where Rocky ran through during training.
Thought about buying a live one for about 15 seconds. Thing would crap all over everything on the way home.
Anyone know what time and temp is required on a duck?

Rag said:
We decided on smoking a duck for xmas dinner. On Fri. we are going to the Italian Market along 9th st in South Phila to buy one. Thats the place with the burning 55 gal drums in the street where Rocky ran through during training.
Thought about buying a live one for about 15 seconds. Thing would crap all over everything on the way home.

My mil has always cooked them like a turkey.

Nick Prochilo said:
Rag said:

You're saying cook at 350* in the stick burner, not down at 240*?

Rag said:
Nick Prochilo said:
Rag said:

You're saying cook at 350* in the stick burner, not down at 240*?

No, I'm saying she does them in the oven like a turkey. Do you do turkeys on your stick burner? If so, do it like you do them.

Thanks for the tips. At this point I think I'll split the duck and smoke at 320*. Not sure yet on a rub. I think I'll make a sauce out of my home made habanero sauce and peach jam, taking a cue from Wittdog.
I want to render as much fat as possible and produce a crisp skin. May have to jack the temp up at the end.

Unity said:
Unity said:
wittdog said:
Unity said:

--John 8)
Hmm, maybe I could talk them into letting me grill a Santa Maria tri-tip. :D

--John 8)
Okay. This morning for breakfast I had Kashi GoLean Crunch cereal with soy milk. :shock:

--John 8)
I'll get back on a board-type topic, Griff. :D

I was in a small Salinas grocery store yesterday and checked out the meat case. There were 5 or 6 tri-tips at $7.49/lb. I'll never see that in VA. :( I also noticed that there were canned pinquito beans among the veggies, something else that won't show up in VA.

--John 8)
(I heard a guy talking at the meat counter after picking up his fresh ham, telling another guy in detail how he does 'em indirect in his Weber kettle, finishing with brown sugar and mustard. I chatted with him later and suggested he might be ready for a WSM. He was unknowledgeable but very interested.)

Back
Top Bottom