Chrismas Duck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rag1

Executive Chef
Tried to smoke a duck today. Ran the smoker at 300* for 1 hour, then dropped down to 2 hours at 250*. Fat was well rendered, but the legs never got loose. When pulling the leg the whole bird moved like it had rigor mortise.
Meat was tasty but not moist or very tender. I'm glad we don't have to compete with ducks.
Dinner was a success. (had some Zartranes rice, boy).
Notice sausage sticker which made drain holes all over....good tool for this.

http://usera.imagecave.com/Rag/xmas/

Wild duck will be a little tough. Stewed they will be more tender. I don't care for duck very much. It looked good though.

brian j said:
looks good. i've never cooked a duck but from my experience with turkeys and chickens the toughness could have been casused by how the bird was raised. anything "free range" or wild will be tough because they actually used their muscles for things other than standing around.

Yeah, I was thinking that too. Next cook may be hot and fast in the smoker, just for grins.

Nick Prochilo said:
Rag said:
Griff said:
Rag, that was not a wild duck, right?

It was a Long Island duck that I picked up in South Phila Italian Market. Maybe it walked down from Long Island.

Long Island duck...........never heard of them! :LOL: :shock: ;)

Oh yeah, there are a lot of LI ducks. They quack funny, cut in front of other ducks and like to eat sabrett's hotdogs. :LOL: :LOL:

Rag said:
Nick Prochilo said:
Rag said:
Griff said:

It was a Long Island duck that I picked up in South Phila Italian Market. Maybe it walked down from Long Island.

Oh yeah, there are a lot of LI ducks. They quack funny, cut in front of other ducks and like to eat sabrett's hotdogs. :LOL: :LOL:

4.gif

Rag said:
Nick Prochilo said:
Rag said:
Griff said:

:shock:

Back
Top Bottom