Chickens in the wind

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
Man, the wind is blowing here in Arkansas. I knew if I tried to smoke something today that I would have to deal with the wind. I am having trouble keeping my pit above 200 deg. I am using lump and it is in a basket. I thought that I would be having trouble keeping the temp down on a day like today but no dice. :-X

I added 1/2 chimney of Kingsford and that seems to be helping the pit hold at around 215 deg. Maybe I should have used Kingsford to begin with. #-o

After almost three hours the birds are at 126 deg, so what normally takes about three hours will probably take 4 to 4-1/2 hrs.

I had the same problem in Snow Shoe WV last year at a comp. I had to turn my pit around 180* to prevent the wind from blowing the heat out. Now I have a reverse flow and it doesnt seem to have the same issues.

Hope the chicken turns out okay. So far, looks great.

Cliff H. said:
Man, the wind is blowing here in Arkansas. I knew if I tried to smoke something today that I would have to deal with the wind. I am having trouble keeping my pit above 200 deg. I am using lump and it is in a basket. I thought that I would be having trouble keeping the temp down on a day like today but no dice. :-X

I added 1/2 chimney of Kingsford and that seems to be helping the pit hold at around 215 deg. Maybe I should have used Kingsford to begin with. #-o

After almost three hours the birds are at 126 deg, so what normally takes about three hours will probably take 4 to 4-1/2 hrs.

OMG!!!!
One of your dancing chickens fell down and split in half. LOL

Well here I am at almost six hrs into what should only be a three hr cook. Chicken is at 141 deg. The wind is not blowing and I have loaded up the basket with Kingsford.

The pit temp is still only 210 deg. Must be something to do with the Moon or the Ocean or something. 8-[

6 hours in the danger zone? That's a long time Cliff. Too long for me.. :badgrin:

Above 180 ok, below 150 not so good. Being where I am, the wind is more of a danger of moving your pit downhill in a rapid manner for over a mile unless it lodges itself in a tree or a rock outcropping :)

Use more lump, toss the Kingsford over the fence. :grin: Perhaps a wind screen in the future.

Wind and temps don't bother the ciramics, but I'd be hard pressed to get 4 birds into mine.

brian j said:
[quote="Jack W.":xwjfng3u]I had heard the best wind break for a WSM was to cut both ends out of a 55 gal. drum and put it around the WSM.

Good Q!

Jack
yea, that would work. but i think getting to the vents would be a pain in the @ss.[/quote:xwjfng3u]

Strategic cuts in the barrell might do the trick.

Good Q!

Jack

Jack W. said:
[quote="brian j":2tvokq9q][quote="Jack W.":2tvokq9q]I had heard the best wind break for a WSM was to cut both ends out of a 55 gal. drum and put it around the WSM.

Good Q!

Jack
yea, that would work. but i think getting to the vents would be a pain in the @ss.[/quote:2tvokq9q]

Good Q!

Jack[/quote:2tvokq9q]

You can cut the drum in half length wise and put hinges on it. When you need to adjust your vents just open the drum, when you done close it back.

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Jack W.":3b50ae16][quote="brian j":3b50ae16][quote="Jack W.":3b50ae16]I had heard the best wind break for a WSM was to cut both ends out of a 55 gal. drum and put it around the WSM.

Good Q!

Jack
yea, that would work. but i think getting to the vents would be a pain in the @ss.[/quote:3b50ae16]

Good Q!

Jack[/quote:3b50ae16]

You can cut the drum in half length wise and put hinges on it. When you need to adjust your vents just open the drum, when you done close it back.[/quote:3b50ae16]

Great :idea: Larry. I was thinking that one cut in the barrell and spin it to gain access to the vents would do.

Good Q!

Jack

Back
Top Bottom