Chicken Resting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tri Tip

Head Chef
Howdy Friends.

I have recently been doing a lot of skillet and dutch oven cooking. There about 1 billion recipes that call for letting your chicken stand for 30 minutes even many up to an hour at room temp. This for roasted chicken, grilled chicken and fried chicken. I have let chicken hit room temp before frying and it cooks more even and much faster. So far, not sick yet. I do however fry the kids chicken tenders straight from the fridge to the flower to the fryer be safe. I have been doing this with steak for years but chicken scares me. Very famous chefs have this recommendation in their chicken recipes. What ya'll think?

I think you think too much. I prep my stuff the same way, whoever is eating it.

When is you buddy gonna post more of your trip, I want to see the rest of the story.

I think you think too much. I prep my stuff the same way, whoever is eating it.

When is you buddy gonna post more of your trip, I want to see the rest of the story.

I know I know, He's lagging bad. There is like 3 more days of video. I'm gonna hit him up tomorrow. The vids are pretty good. I didn't come out looken like too much of a dork!

Well for grilled/smoked chicken I like to let it rest wrapped for at least an hour in the insulated box. It seems to help eradicate any red bloody joints which may arise. Mostly the thigh joint on splits. Also works on whole birds..turkeys etc. Also seems to aid in moisture retention...re-absorption etc. Once its its sterile. Only way for germs to come in is to start at the surface skin and work its way deeper. Takes a while for the interior to dip into the danger area of below 140. Not a big issue in my view anyway.

Exactly. If the chicken is cooked to 160-170 there is no way you're going to get bacteria as long as no one is handling or contaminating it. Clean hands , wrap it good and let it rest.

Reflecting back on this thread seems like the original question got dodged about putting cold chicken into hot grease maybe? I forget right now. Having tried this manuever a time or two will say it can jack with the texture some..same on any kinda meat. Now a bunch of the fast food greasy spoon places go direct from frozen into the fryolator so must not be much of a health hazard on that. By contrast the reused over and over again grease will kill a person deader than a hammer. I would not eat that kinda stuff except real occasional.

Back
Top Bottom